Honored Contributor

Re: Your Favorite- Rice or Potatoes?

I like rice but I love potatoes.

However, I don't eat a lot of them.

Honored Contributor

I prefer rice.  I like potatoes baked until the skin is very crispy (and I eat that too!) with a little lemon juice and salt on them.

I cannot stand mashed potatoes.  And like Red Top I don't like potatoes and cheese unless it is just a little bit of cheese and not glops of it.  

I am very anti gloppy food. 

Respected Contributor

Potatoes

Esteemed Contributor

Potatoes in any way, shape or form!!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

Diabetes or any other reason to avoid excessive carbs are not issues in our household.

DH likes sweet potatoes and other potatoes but probably likes rice the best.

Potatoes are an excellent potassium source, so I lean toward those, and look at rice as not being quite as nutritious.

It's not encouraging that Consumer Reports has been waging an ongoing public information campaign about the high arsenic content of most rice.

Esteemed Contributor

Have not had a potato in a long time.

Love brown rice and always have some congee tucked away.  A great base for any meat or veggie.  Nice for days when swallowing or nausea are a problem.

Respected Contributor

I love potates - cooked just about any way.  A favorite is scalloped - layer of potatoes (butter and flour), layer of onions (butter and flour) make a couple layers of each, add milk and bake.

First had scalloped potatoes like this as a child a church potluck - loved them ever since.  Of course since I don't cook, I usually pass  and just use Betty Crocker boxed potatoes!

Honored Contributor

Neither. I changed my way of eating 16 months ago. I’m so much healthier and don’t miss them at all. The few carbs I do consume (20-25 grams) on a daily basis come from berries and non-starchy veggies.
Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Diabetes or any other reason to avoid excessive carbs are not issues in our household.

DH likes sweet potatoes and other potatoes but probably likes rice the best.

Potatoes are an excellent potassium source, so I lean toward those, and look at rice as not being quite as nutritious.

It's not encouraging that Consumer Reports has been waging an ongoing public information campaign about the high arsenic content of most rice.

@novamc1 I am not always sold on what Consumer Reports says.  And people all over the planet have lived quite well on a diet of rice that is far more than most of us would ever eat.  And rice is often put with good dishes like a GOOD stir fry with lots of veggies!  

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  Any kind of rice for me; any kind of potatoes for DH.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!