Super Contributor

Re: Which items in your kitchen will be desirable vintage pieces in the future?

On 12/15/2014 house_cat said:

I love perusing Ebay for vintage Pyrex, table linens and other pieces from the 1950s and 60s.

Which items in your kitchen now to you think will be nostalgic and vintage in 20 or 30 years?

Which do you think will be junk?

Fun question. Sadly I don't think any of the modern things I have will be considered vintage, the only things will be the items I inherited from my mom that are already vintage. My mom didn't start out a wonderful cook but she became one. My dad used to tell of the first roasted chicken she made for them when they were newly married. He said it was golden and beautiful on the outside, but you could bounce it like a basketball. My mom cried because she was trying to make a perfect meal, and she tossed the chicken out the window. Some cats and dogs ate good that night. I was lucky enough to get some china sets, old but wonderful pots & pans including an ancient iron skillet that was given to her by my grandma. I have some beautiful crystal, but it's some of the old cooking utensils like a hand beater that are fun and bring back memories of watching her cook. One thing I absolutely LOVE and use all the time are a set of Pyrex nested mixing bowls. There were called the primary colors set, and there were 4 with the blue being the smallest, then red, green and finally a fantastic 4 QT big yellow bowl. The set was circa 1940's and has seen lots of cooking in it's time. Those bowls are practically invincible and I was so upset last year when I dropped the yellow one on the floor and shattered it. They are durable but they don't bounce. I still have the other three bowls and use them all the time. I can remember watching my mom mix things in them, and to think she used them for so many years before she even had me. I know I could find a replacement, but somehow it wouldn't be the same, so I'm just more careful with them. I found an old roll of KVP Freezer Paper in the pantry. It was made in Kalamazoo, MI and from the writing and design of the box it was clearly vintage. I looked it up online and it was made in the 50's, so that was kind of funny. It has the drawings showing how to use it. I don't think my roll of Reynolds aluminum foil will be interesting 60 years from now, but who knows. Smile

Trusted Contributor

It will be all junk, no vintage. Isn't vintage just another word for old anyway?
Trusted Contributor

On 12/18/2014 auntiEM said:

The china cabinets full of Blue Ridge Southern Pottery already qualify and I'm sure the Pyrex bowls, the rolling pin that belonged to my grandmother, and many other things will put me in the running for a vintage kitchen! Oops, I forgot the Fiestaware and the Longaberger pottery.

I do have to say, I own a LOT of Longaberger baskets, and thou some say you can buy them for nothing on Ebay, I do own some baskets from their beginning, and a total collection of over 30+baskets, and some that I own still go for some very prime prices, and I do not just collect, but use them in my kitchen and functional food items all of the time......THEY are also listed in my WILL, to be sold..........Cool

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Contributor

My oven....rarely used.
Trusted Contributor

On 12/18/2014 forrestwolf said:

I am sure that my Oneida Michelangelo 7 piece setting flatware for 12, and serving pieces will continue to be around, as well as my cut crystal ware from Noritake, as well as my multitude of pewter ware/dishes from Waterbury/Danforth from VT......and yes, I do have pyrex, and corning ware, all USA made, will still be a want to have item........and then, I also have already labeled vintage ware, that will still be in demand.......My problem is, I have no one to pass any of this on to, so I have set up a trust for everything to be sold, and the money will all go to animals in some way.........especially for my wolves.......Cool

Interesting that you have the Oneida Michelangelo flatware-it's beautiful. I have had the Oneida Raphael stainless flatware for 34 years and love it!

Trusted Contributor

On 12/18/2014 seaside shopper said:

I am sure that my Oneida Michelangelo 7 piece setting flatware for 12, and serving pieces will continue to be around, as well as my cut crystal ware from Noritake, as well as my multitude of pewter ware/dishes from Waterbury/Danforth from VT......and yes, I do have pyrex, and corning ware, all USA made, will still be a want to have item........and then, I also have already labeled vintage ware, that will still be in demand.......My problem is, I have no one to pass any of this on to, so I have set up a trust for everything to be sold, and the money will all go to animals in some way.........especially for my wolves.......Cool

Interesting that you have the Oneida Michelangelo flatware-it's beautiful. I have had the Oneida Raphael stainless flatware for 34 years and love it!

WOW......what is the difference.....I have had mine since 1980, but they look the same....{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Trusted Contributor

On 12/18/2014 seaside shopper said:

WOW......what is the difference.....I have had mine since 1980, but they look the same....{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

I've had mine since 1980 as well! There are rather slight differences... both are floral but the Michelangelo is more ornate and decorated near the top of the handle whereas the Raphael is not.

Esteemed Contributor

We still have and use my mother-in-law's Oster brand osterizer from the early 50s. It's a gem! And was the Vitamix of it's day for the housewife. (My mother would not have known what to do with a mixer - haha!)

And, one day when my DD was approaching 3, I took her to the big playground at the east end of Golden Gate Park. I was sitting on a bench watching her and many, many other children when I spotted something sticking out of the sand. I got up, grabbed it and pulled it out. It was a beautiful silver serving spoon with an Art Nuveau design on it: a willoughy female with a loose garment on, with her head positioned slightly up and her arms in a very beautiful pose. I asked around and around and could not find the owner. We still have that beautiful spoon and use is all the time as a serving piece. It brings back great Golden Gate Park memories. So, that spoon has been with us for 42 years and was made at the turn of the 19th/20th centuries. I think this really does qualify. :-)

p.s. I believe the spoon to be "modern" vice the ancient Egyptian relics that I legally own.

Honored Contributor

On 12/18/2014 Alsee said: It will be all junk, no vintage. Isn't vintage just another word for old anyway?

99.9 percent of "vintage" is junk. I have cleaned out three houses from the 1940 era. Junk is junk. I no longer have a soft spot in my heart from much of this stuff. I won't be around to remember it, and people born now won't relate to it.