Honored Contributor

Re: Which items in your kitchen will be desirable vintage pieces in the future?

I used to live in a house with a built-in flour sifter. You opened a kitchen cupboard to get to it, there was a funnel sort of thing hanging below, and you placed a bowl under it (on the counter-top) to catch the flour. The house was built in the 1920's and this piece must have been original, or close to it. Of course, since it was built-in, I left it when I moved. By now, new owners have probably replaced the kitchen cabinets and discarded that wonderful piece of history.

Trusted Contributor

On 12/15/2014 Sweetbay magnolia said:

I don't really care, as I will likely be dead. I enjoy what I have, today. It's in the eye of the beholder.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

Just saw this thread, and it reminded me of an article I read a few weeks back in the Boston Globe. You might be surprised at what will someday be of value! If interested, check out the article:

Historic New England gathering meaning in the goods of the ...Historic New England, best known for its preservation of old properties, gathers 20th century domestic goods

If you don't want to read it, here's a snippet: (The underlining is mine.)

Donations account for more than 99 percent of the 20th-century collections, and Carlisle would love to get more boomers with overstuffed attics and garages thinking like curators. “We get weekly offers of wedding dresses,” she says. “It’s hard for donors to realize that we’re really more interested in their Crock-Pots.”

Actually, Historic New England already has a Crock-Pot slow cooker. It was purchased around 1974 in Bangor, and the donor also saved the original recipe booklet, annotated to show her family’s response to particular dishes.

The curators are most interested in objects with contextual stories. Living with an object gives it meaning: Historic New England would rather have the chipped family teapot used every day than a pristine pot that a collector found on eBay. The more information a donor can provide the better.

Esteemed Contributor

I scour yard sales for vintage Corning. I have a set of dishes, cups & various casseroles. I also have a collection of vintage pie tins on my wall over my oak icebox. I collect old jelly jars and glass milk pitchers too.

Honored Contributor

On 12/18/2014 Sabatini2 said:

Just saw this thread, and it reminded me of an article I read a few weeks back in the Boston Globe. You might be surprised at what will someday be of value! If interested, check out the article:

Historic New England gathering meaning in the goods of the ...Historic New England, best known for its preservation of old properties, gathers 20th century domestic goods

If you don't want to read it, here's a snippet: (The underlining is mine.)

Donations account for more than 99 percent of the 20th-century collections, and Carlisle would love to get more boomers with overstuffed attics and garages thinking like curators. “We get weekly offers of wedding dresses,” she says. “It’s hard for donors to realize that we’re really more interested in their Crock-Pots.”

Actually, Historic New England already has a Crock-Pot slow cooker. It was purchased around 1974 in Bangor, and the donor also saved the original recipe booklet, annotated to show her family’s response to particular dishes.

The curators are most interested in objects with contextual stories. Living with an object gives it meaning: Historic New England would rather have the chipped family teapot used every day than a pristine pot that a collector found on eBay. The more information a donor can provide the better.

Thank you for posting this - very interesting.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

me, I hope !

couldn't resist{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Trusted Contributor

I am sure that my Oneida Michelangelo 7 piece setting flatware for 12, and serving pieces will continue to be around, as well as my cut crystal ware from Noritake, as well as my multitude of pewter ware/dishes from Waterbury/Danforth from VT......and yes, I do have pyrex, and corning ware, all USA made, will still be a want to have item........and then, I also have already labeled vintage ware, that will still be in demand.......My problem is, I have no one to pass any of this on to, so I have set up a trust for everything to be sold, and the money will all go to animals in some way.........especially for my wolves.......Cool

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Contributor

The china cabinets full of Blue Ridge Southern Pottery already qualify and I'm sure the Pyrex bowls, the rolling pin that belonged to my grandmother, and many other things will put me in the running for a vintage kitchen! Oops, I forgot the Fiestaware and the Longaberger pottery.

Honored Contributor

I have these:

They're made of pewter.

Respected Contributor

Me!!!