Super Contributor

Re: Which items in your kitchen will be desirable vintage pieces in the future?

On 12/15/2014 Sweetbay magnolia said:

I don't really care, as I will likely be dead. I enjoy what I have, today. It's in the eye of the beholder.

This is exactly how I feel! Much of my kitchen ware was purchased secondhand. I also have some very expensive pieces. I don't use paper products; we eat/entertain at home. I love having just what I need at hand. I doubt that my kin will care about my stuff, but they are happy to eat from it now. When I'm gone who's going to care?!

Honored Contributor

On 12/15/2014 Sweetbay magnolia said:

I don't really care, as I will likely be dead. I enjoy what I have, today. It's in the eye of the beholder.

I feel the same way. I do have some Pyrex pieces stored away (from the late 60's) in case I ever decide to give away or trash my Temptations pieces. I don't think my kids will be interested in my stuff. Hope they give it to a worthy charity or someone needy. I really like kitchen dishes/items and have quite a bit, but nothing considered "collectible." I do have old Corning Ware, but don't use it as my TT clean easier.

Honored Contributor

My kitchen is full of vintage Corning, Pyrex and other famous brands, and those will continue to be collectible and valuable as they stand the test of time. Any kitchen ware that was made (or still is) in the US will most likely be collectible because I don't see the manufacturing coming back here, so older Farberware, Revere Ware, and other past companies will maintain their value.

And for those that think that something cheaply constructed like Temp-tations won't be collectible in the future only have to look to the past to see that might not be true. In the 50's and 60's there was so much cheap ceramic and plastic coming out of Japan, and much of that stuff didn't survive, as it was seen as 'throw away' goods. Some of it is now very pricey on ebay (see things like Holt Howard). What becomes collectible is often what adults remember and want to replace from their childhood experiences, so if it is popular now, it most likely will be somewhat collectible in the future.

Trusted Contributor

I enjoy my two corning ware casserole dishes from the 70's. I have a one quart and a two quart. The pattern is called "spice of life".

A few years ago I bought a few pieces of Fiesta dinnerware. I love it and have quite a collection now. I know this will last and last. I also have Fiesta bakeware pieces.

I also have Royal Albert china, made in England. I recently looked up the pattern (Lavender Rose) on Replacements, and it is being sold for a higher price than I expected. This pattern was discontinued around 2008.

Honored Contributor

Most of the items I use daily are already vintage - from the 40s through the 60s.

I have jadeite batter bowls, Harker casseroles, my late mom's Fiesta, I use old jelly jars for glasses - the kind with patterns (called swanky swigs)...depression glass, etc.

Honored Contributor

On 12/15/2014 mominohio said:

My kitchen is full of vintage Corning, Pyrex and other famous brands, and those will continue to be collectible and valuable as they stand the test of time. Any kitchen ware that was made (or still is) in the US will most likely be collectible because I don't see the manufacturing coming back here, so older Farberware, Revere Ware, and other past companies will maintain their value.

And for those that think that something cheaply constructed like Temp-tations won't be collectible in the future only have to look to the past to see that might not be true. In the 50's and 60's there was so much cheap ceramic and plastic coming out of Japan, and much of that stuff didn't survive, as it was seen as 'throw away' goods. Some of it is now very pricey on ebay (see things like Holt Howard). What becomes collectible is often what adults remember and want to replace from their childhood experiences, so if it is popular now, it most likely will be somewhat collectible in the future.

Good point. If Temptations is as defective as some say it is, that would only make it more rare and thus more valuable in the future.

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

I have this piece:

Honored Contributor

I have a Corning Ware percolator coffee pot at camp.

Valued Contributor

Hey, HH, my mom had a Corning Percolator. She loved it. I haven't thought about it in years Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

I have a bunch of "vintage" that I still use - most of it inherited from my mom. My closest friend wants me to sell her any of the Pyrex, Corning, etc. I want to get rid of! Of course, she knows I'd never part with it. I have enamel ware cookie sheets from West Virginia that I still use. I inherited Fiesta ware from my grandmother, and I use that too.

Since I lived in Japan, I have dishes and other kitchen products made there. But I prefer made in the USA over made in China - it may not be modern, but it's OK with me! Smile