Esteemed Contributor

Re: When You Crave A Certain Dish.

@WORKING GAL wrote:

@kivah - Where are you in California?  I'm in So. Cal and have found knishes the jewish deli.  I'm originally from New Jersey so I'm familiar with knishes, good bagels and bialys.  Even though it is not at all heart healthy I always loved kishka.  Only found that on the menu at a jewish deli.  Good luck.

I live in north Oxnard (Ventura County). 20 yrs ago I lived in Oak Park (Agoura) - and there was a small knish store on Thousand Oaks Blvd. It was sold and I'm sure, they didn't survive. When I lived in Oak Park, I used to go to a very good Jewish Deli on Thousand Oaks Blvd. - where the owner was always present. He passed away -- and his son opened the Famous Deli on Kanan. I just checked on-line and it's still there. I also bought very good bagels at Western Bagel on Thousand Oaks Blvd. In the 1970s I lived in the San Fernando Valley and there were many very good Jewish Deli's. Once I found out what kishka was - I would never eat it again. I now buy bagels at Costco -- not as good as those BIG New York bagels. The area I live in doesn't have many Jews - so Jewish Delis are almost non-existent. I have a friend who lives in New Jersey - and many Jewish Delis closed since the prices of food got too high - and people couldn't afford it. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: When You Crave A Certain Dish.

I love the Paparoni pizza from Papa Gino's but all of the stores in my area have closed. The nearest is in the next state over, over an hour away.