Valued Contributor

Re: What's your favorite thing to cook in the winter when you're going to be snowed in?

I make a complete Thanksgiving (turkey) dinner several times during the fall/winter as well as any oven-cooked dish.  

Unless I'm reheating a large pizza, I try not use the oven in summer.  The A/C can't keep up with it.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's your favorite thing to cook in the winter when you're going to be snowe in?

@sunshine45 

Well your pot roast sounds yummy as all get out.

I'm pretty sure in a previous life I was a peasant (not a princess) as I love soaking up sauce/gravy/soup with bread. When my boys were growing up I tried setting a good example and NOT swab the decks with bread. They did, however, learn to do it from their father. 😊

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Re: What's your favorite thing to cook in the winter when you're going to be snowed in?

Homemade beef vegetable stew or pot roast.

Esteemed Contributor

I amon boardwith others, beef stew, chili, differents soups etc.

We wanted chicken pot pie this weekend. I got a wild hair and made the filling but instead of putting it in a pie form, I made pie crust crackers and we crumbled them over our individual servings.  They seemed to stay crisper than a top and bottom crust  would.

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

TEXAS CHILI!!  Even living in Hawaii, sometimes I pretend it's cold outside and make chili in the winter. Woman Tongue

@SurferWife Living in Oklahoma, where the South, North and Southwest meet, chili is a way of life here and we make it year around.  Can't go very long without it!  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

New crockpot, so we will be having beef stew, vegetable soup, roast with potatoes, carrots, turnips, onions, pork loin then left over made into pulled pork for sandwhiches, fish soup with condensed milk, potatoes and onions.  DH makes the best lasagna in a huge pan - will will eat 2 days and freeze the rest.  Meatloaf with mozzarella cheese.

Chocolate cherry cake, baked steel cut oatmeal with apricots, raisans, dried cherries, dried papayna.  Boy, am I getting hungry.  I'm going to ask for the oatmeal tomorrow as I am stuck in the house for this week anyway.  Fell on stairs that were longer and higher than usual the other day and were too much for my knee,  I made it to the very top of the steps and my knee just gave out and down I went.  So my leg is touchy - no steps or driving this week for me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't have a favorite snow day dish, but I recall from  growing up in  the Wash DC suburbs--which sometimes gets incredible snow dumps-- that my Minnesota born-and-bred Mom always made some sort of nut bread with either walnuts or pecans.  She absolutely thrived on snowy days.

While DH and I  wound up living in that same suburb, I certainly had no time to make anything special, because both of us and eventually our sons, too,  were outside shoveling our very long and winding driveway.  Dinner was  an afterthought involving anything that was available.

Snowy days where I live now are rare.  Frigid-cold days are not rare, especially this week, so I'm planning heartier meals than usual.

Respected Contributor

@rms1954, SE Wisconsin along the shore of Lake Michigan. We are no strangers to snow & sometimes are protected by the lake but other times socked with lake effect snow storms.

Thank you to all for sharing your delicious ideas. I am going to have to "up my game" & try some new meals!
Respected Contributor

I love all kinds of chili from beef to vegatarian.  My BF likes roasts and just cooked one yesterday.  He's been cooking them for 30 years and uses one of those kits with a bag and subs red wine for water in the flavor packet. 

Esteemed Contributor

Pie! Any kind....and hot chocolate