Respected Contributor

What's your favorite thing to cook in the winter when you're going to be snowed in?

[ Edited ]

Just heard on the local news...2 to 3 inches of snow headed here for Tuesday and temps dropping into 20's..  Not making me happy but maybe it'll miss us. The ground may be warm enough to keep it from sticking.  Oh well, it is that time of year! ❄️☃️

My go-to is chili and/or meat sauce.  We like both served over pasta, just switching out toppings. I also like to put up a big pot of soup, either veggie or chicken.  Lasagna is another favorite. Can't forget goodies, cookies, brownies, banana, pumpkin or cranberry nut bread!

Respected Contributor

Re: What's your favorite thing to cook in the winter when you're going to be snowe in?

[ Edited ]

@MOMMAVik   I also like to make soup or chili in the winter.

Sometimes I make corn muffins to have with them.

When fall and winter come , I like to bake brownies, cookies,

muffins, apple crisp, pumpkin bread, banana bread, cranberry orange bread and of course pies for Thanksgiving.

Being on the east coast, I hope we don't see snow for a long time. Yesterday it was 75 here. I have never seen that in November.

Honored Contributor

Re: What's your favorite thing to cook in the winter when you're going to be snowed in?

@MOMMAVik where is "here"?

Honored Contributor

Re: What's your favorite thing to cook in the winter when you're going to be snowed in?

Most likely, Chicken dumpling soup.  

Honored Contributor

Maybe more soups, beef stew, pot roast, pulled pork, when it's cold outside, but I still make a lot of our usuals year round.  I almost grabbed a spaghetti squash the other day, to use with grilled chicken and homemade Alfredo sauce, but decided to wait.  I have this weeks meals planned and next week will be a short week with Thanksgiving and us going out of town.  I'll get back to the spaghetti squash next month. 

Honored Contributor

TEXAS CHILI!!  Even living in Hawaii, sometimes I pretend it's cold outside and make chili in the winter. Woman Tongue

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

It was chilly and windy here on the coast in MD...too cold for me. I made a slow cooker pot of beef stew. It cooked on low for 8 hours. OMgoodness I made homemade biscuits and made a pig out of myself...hubs did too. It was unbelievable good and I enjoy that in  fall/winter.

Esteemed Contributor

Some of the dishes I primarily make in fall and winter are chili, beef stew, meatloaf and barley soups. I also tend to make a casserole dish more often...usually with rice or pasta. This winter I am going to try to do a hashbrown casserole.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

Soup & Beef Stew

Honored Contributor

Re: What's your favorite thing to cook in the winter when you're going to be snowe in?

i LOVE making soups this time of the year, we eat some and then freeze the rest in individual containers or in souper cube containers (shark tank.)

my most favorite meal to make in the cooler weather is probably a big pot roast. a chuck roast, seasoned well and seared on the stove. then place in the oven in a speckled metal roaster to cook low and slow. use the pan juices and drippings and better than bouillon to make lots of gravy, i also add lots of onion, celery, baby carrots, and baby potatoes. all you may need is a good bread and possibly a salad.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein