Respected Contributor

Re: What's your favorite thing to cook in the winter when you're going to be snowed in?

@KathyM23, that was quite a fall. I hope you are doing better.

I have a rough time with stairs & my laundry room is in the basement. Fortunately there is a comfy recliner, tv & exercise bike there so I can camp out while the washer & dryer do their thing. DH & DS, if he comes by, carries the clean laundry up.

Take care!
Honored Contributor

Re: What's your favorite thing to cook in the winter when you're going to be snowed in?

@MOMMAVik   You nailed our winter cooking to a TEE! Honestly, we do what you do, there's two of us, we both really enjoy cooking, he does the baking.

Honored Contributor

Soups, stews, chili----and one very rare snowy day here near Seattle years ago, --I even made marshmallows----was kind of cool to see a fluffy batter inside my house as well as outside, there was over a foot of snow ---have you ever made homemade marshmallow?? OMG---the best ever and really not hard at all--just time consuming---made them to give away at a family dinner. 

Respected Contributor

@MOMMAVik   Thanks for your good wishes. I feel uncomfortable but not horrible.  I'm not going to do steps for awhile although mine at least are nomal amount and height, not like the one that was too much for me.

And I am coming to your house for desert.  I want some of everything you are making.

Honored Contributor

chicken and dumplings

Respected Contributor

@MOMMAVik    Navy Bean and Ham soup.  With some crispy fried cornbread.   

Esteemed Contributor

Soups.  My favorites are chili (very spicy/hot), Southwest Chicken Tortilla, Potato and Beef Vegetable Barley (or Quinoa).  We 've had cold weather and even some measurable snow over the weekend but I still haven't made any soup yet.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

Thankfully we don't get snowed in. But when it's cold, first thing is always gumbo, potato salad, and some good bread.

Respected Contributor

Our cold weather came early, so I have already made beef veggie soup last week and I made chili today. DH loves both, and chili and veggie soup are both things I don't make other times of the year. I love the weather to change so I can finally turn on the oven and bake again. Tomorrow will be baking cornbread to go with our chili.

Respected Contributor

When colder weather starts here, we make more heartier, stick to your ribs foods.  Beef stews, chicken and dumplings-with Real herb dumplings not those square noodle things. Split pea and ham soup.  Pork roasts with potatoes, Breads, rolls and jalapeno corn bread.  Clam or seafood chowders.  Foods that fill you up and keep you going in the cold.