Honored Contributor

Re: What's Cooking for October 2019?

@Winifred   Because you visit this thread most often, please check in when you can.  I'm so very worried about the power outages affecting you and your oxygen supply.

To satisfy the What's Cooking nature of the thread Woman Wink I had a dentist appointment today (crown) so I kept it simple with Chicken and Rice soup over some oyster crackers.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I am sweating the power outages also - dumbest thing I ever heard.. Having said that the electric companies were supposed to have all electrical lines here where I live underground by 2000 - what a joke.  They have been shutting them off for what they say is maintenance - it is not.NO ONE is working on the lines and I suspect they are sitting in front of computers figuring out how to shut people off easier. And if they do shut them down, it was take forever to turn them back on as they must be physically checked - each and ever electrical line that was shut off. This means they must look with their eyes to ensure the lines are OK. Having said all that we are on fire today -= so far I still have electricity. But a mobile home park near the middle school has been destroyed. Winds are fierce - our infamous SAnta Ana winds. This fire was started by a trash truck - today is trash pick up day - whose load caught on fire. They pulled over to the side of the road and dumped their truck. The sides of most roads here are brush and trees. Now tell me why he did not call the fire department ASAP and why he dumped it on the side among all the dead weeds instead of the middle of the street? We had planes medium and BIG and choppers fighting it. Do not think I will sleep well as I could see the  fire from where I live.  It was on TV for a long time today. And of course since those homes burned so quickly am sure there will be a lot of lost animals - that too breaks my heart. By the way they are shutting down my electricity next Friday from 5 p.m. until 12 midnight. For more maintenance they say. What a stupid time. Grr

So Bernie what is new in your life - I seem to often be in the middle of something. Sigh. I hope that fire does not get worse, I think those firefighters have done an excellent job but those winds can still play havoc.

Hope all had a good day - I did fix some veggies with hamburger meat in the WOK. Very very good!

Honored Contributor

@Winifred   I saw something online about a fire about an hour ago and I thought oh no, I think that's near Freddie.  Thank you so much for checking in Heart  Cutting off power to thousands of people who's health could be seriously jeopardized is crazy to me.

All my power lines are above head on poles too.  Some communities in a neighboring county had power lines buried year ago.  

Oh yea, I ate some low salt peanuts for a snack.  I'm thinking tomorrow could be a pizza day. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

keybra i have allways been an early morning person.  when i was in school my father allways got up first and if he over slept we all would be late so i started getting up at 530 so i was allready showered so i was ready early. were in bed by 900 at night . i do have multiple scorosis but that dont effect my sleeping.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Supper tonight was cabbage roll casserole; made one for us and one for my mom.   My husband, trucker daughter, and her boyfriend hit it pretty hard, and said it hit the spot for them.    I do cabbage on the bottom, cans of petite diced tomatoes next, instant rice, cooked ground chuck, onions and garlic next, then covered with tomato sauce, brown sugar and a splash of cider vinegar stirred together.  Cover with foil, cook for an hour at 350.  Remove foil, cover with grated cheese, and cook until cheese starts to brown.   

Our prayers were answered this week with final healing of my husbands foot after the amputation!   We are thrilled.   

Respected Contributor

@RedTop  Wonderful news so happy for your family & husband. Those cabbage rolls sound delicious. @Pooky1  you sound like my husband, he is retired but always woke up at 5:30 for work seems he is still doing it also at bed by 9pm I am the opposite but it works for us. 

Respected Contributor

good afternoon everyone. we are on our forth cloudy day but not raining and tomorrow we get to see the sun again. we ate with anna today. she made pasta with eggplant and sauce and melted mozzarella cheese. super good and broccoli, chicken wings,salad,italian bread,sweet and white potatoes,corn on the cob.everything was very good. i posted something about corn on the cob in this food section. check it out. i ordered a kitchen aid hand mixer today . it was a great deal, free shipping. we have a hand mixer that was 20 bucks and vibrates alot since i dropped it. and we wanted a kitchen aid one this time around because our stand mixer works so well but for small things its to big. hope everyone has a great day.

Esteemed Contributor

It's chilly and damp here in NE PA.  DD made a sheet pan pancake w/blueberries, raspberries and blackberries.  Had real maple syrup with it. Made a few slices of bacon and had breakfast for dinner.  I am not usually a pancake person but it was really good.

Respected Contributor

that sounds really good.

Trusted Contributor

We got our first little cold snap in La so of course, I made gumbo. Smiley Happy