Respected Contributor

What's Cooking for October 2019?

Hey, I woke up - not sure what the kitchen has in store for me today yet.

Very cold this morning as it was yesterday but yesterday did warm up a bit - today is suppose to be warmer.

I "think" it will be a Pizza day for me. Of course I will get it at Aldi's - theirs are so good and so very inexpensive. Love them.

Have a great day everyone and the days to come in this new month will also be good for one and all.

Honored Contributor

Re: What's Cooking for October 2019?

Ham, baked beans and macaroni and cheese will be on our supper table today. 

I envy anyone who might be getting rain today, as West Virginia is extremely dry.   Honestly, one carelessly tossed cigarette would ignite the dry leaves and grass, and burn my front yard down to the dirt!    

Respected Contributor

good afternoon everyone.  knew today was the 1st but when i came on here i forgot intil i saw a new month. welcome october. maria decorated for halloween beginning of september.  sunny and 73 today. we took pool down and put it away .next week air conditioners will be coming out of windows. wow fall came in quick. maria made a big pan of chicken soup monday and a hamberger and vegi and shreeded potatoes with cheedar cheese all in a big baking dish. both very good and lots of leftovers. hope everyone has a great day.

Respected Contributor

Today I made meatloaf,mac & cheese,and a green salad. It  has been raining on and off all day with temps in the 60"s.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

Ham, baked beans and macaroni and cheese will be on our supper table today. 

I envy anyone who might be getting rain today, as West Virginia is extremely dry.   Honestly, one carelessly tossed cigarette would ignite the dry leaves and grass, and burn my front yard down to the dirt!    

@RedTop  Same here NC!

I have a question for you. Recently you mentioned that you stocked groceries for winter and did not have to go during flu season. How do you manage milk and fruit?

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2,

We use very little milk, and eat very little fruit.   I am allergic to milk, and my husband is the only person here that eats cold cereal.   A quart of milk would last a month in this house.  Teacher daughter passes 2 Dollar Generals and 2 chain gas stations / convenience stores to and from school, so she can easily pick up milk.  

Fruit is not popular in this house at all, and the only fruit I ever buy is apples and bananas.   I never buy more than 4 of each. I am allergic to citrus, and only buy a very small bottle of orange juice for my husband in case of a low blood sugar.

We also are not big sandwich eaters; I don’t have to worry about buying lunch meat and sandwich fixings.   We do eat a lot of vegetables; carrots, cabbage, potatoes, onions, sweet potatoes, the ones easiest to store long term.   Salads with lettuce are not a favorite here.   

So really, with the way we eat, it makes it very easy for me to stock well, and have exactly what I need to cook for us daily, and stay out of the grocery store for 2,3,4 months.    

Respected Contributor

@RedTop, Thank you. I think I could almost do it. We go through quite a bit of milk (husband) and I like fruit. There are a couple of dairies here that are now delivering to homes. I have trouble with keeping onions for a long time. I always have the freezers stocked well for winter. I have one large freezer and 2 full sized refrigerators with freezer sections.

Respected Contributor

RedTop, I am with you on the vegetables. I love them and I guess being born in the South and basically raised there, makes sense. But I am also a fruit eater. Am struggling  - food wise - to have decent meals since for the first time in my life - well almost - there is only me now. Always have had kids, etc - and am enjoying the peace and quiet but sure makes fixing meals difficult. I have a tendency to cook enough for an army and that just does not work. Have some veggies I fixed two days ago, however, and am still eating them. Fixing them in the WOK just easy and super tasty. Have enough left for lunch today so am glad I do not have to toss any. 

Still freezing the the early morning but today it will be 89 - I can handle that super well.

Hope all have a great day.

Honored Contributor

Just me and hubby here this weekend, and today is the very first cool fall day.  

I’m cooking a small pot of yellow eye beans seasoned with bacon, using leftover mashed potatoes to make potato cakes, slaw from last nights chili dogs, along with cornbread and onions.   Just put the cornbread in to bake, and the bean broth is just about exactly where we like it.   Can’t wait to fill my plate!  

Respected Contributor

Today I made ham,with parsley fried potatoes,and cucumber salad. It was sunny today and in the 60"s.