Super Contributor

Re: What Would You Do For A 3:30PM Birthday party

On 7/17/2014 DiamondGirly said:

I think if your family members KNOW they are invited for cake and ice cream, and not a meal, they will adjust their meal schedule accordingly on that day! Maybe they'll plan on a later dinner that day - that would work!

Do what you're comfortable with - *I see you did decide on cake and ice cream...

Perfect!

I completely agree that a party with cake and ice cream is a fine idea. The time is between lunch and dinner. Cake and ice cream is a traditional celebration for birthday. The point of the party, IMO, is to gather with friends & family for an hour or so, have a nice cake and then go home for dinner later. Why does every celebration have to be so overdone? A simple part and cake is very nice......don't make it so elaborate. I agree that it would be easy and not costly to put out a cheese tray and a fruit platter but it is not necessary. As a girl I remember my grandmother having afternoon tea parties with her friends. She would fix cake, usually some cookies, and have tea and coffee. The ladies would sit around the dining room table eating and talking for several hours........a nice time was had by everyone from what I could see.....my former neighbors use to come over for lemon icebox pie after supper......we would sit on the patio and watch the sunset......
Esteemed Contributor

On 7/17/2014 Sooner said:
On 7/17/2014 NYC Susan said:
On 7/17/2014 sunshine45 said:
On 7/17/2014 brii said:

I'm wondering about the time too. If people come over at 3:30, won't that run into dinner time?

If I was just having dessert, I would invite people over in the evening after dinner.

i agree brii! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

I agree too.

I really don't understand a 3:30 start time for an adult party. It sounds as though it's intended to be very short. Is it literally just everyone eating cake & ice cream, staying for an hour, and then going home to have dinner? I've never been to a party like that. I would think that cake & ice cream would be better after dinner, and then people would have time to socialize too.

In any case, Happy Birthday to Mr. Butterfly12!

Kiss

AH! Must be a regional thing. And lots of people have friends and family who don't work. Actually, around here it is quiet common to invite people in the afternoon for sweets of some sort. Nobody expects to do anything but have some pie or cake, sit and chat an hour or so and go pleasantly back home to have a light supper later. People bake and invite others for an afternoon "tea" -- mostly iced--I guess you could label it. And it isn't "high tea" either, which his actually supper, but rather you could call it afternoon tea or a cream tea.

Also, people I know would far rather do that than eat dinner and a heavier dessert late in the day. Saturday or mostly Sunday afternoon is a very popular time to pop by for dessert. Friday for those who can make it would be fine too I'm sure.

My reply had nothing to do with whether people have jobs or not. My reference to 3:30 was more about it being odd because dinner for many people is not that long after.

And I'm familiar with what you're talking about, but having people over for tea or whatever is not the same thing IMO. A party to me is more of a celebration than having a piece of cake and going home. I've certainly had people come over for cake or tea, and just stay a short time. But I thought this was a birthday party - and that, to me, is a little bit of a bigger deal. Not necessarily a big deal, but certainly longer than an hour. And always with some fruit or cheese & crackers for people who may not like ice cream & cake.

I think it's the phrase "birthday party" that caught my eye. In any case, if this is what the birthday boy wants, then it's what he should have!

Kiss

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/17/2014 Sooner said:
On 7/17/2014 sunshine45 said:
On 7/17/2014 brii said:

I'm wondering about the time too. If people come over at 3:30, won't that run into dinner time?

If I was just having dessert, I would invite people over in the evening after dinner.

i agree brii! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

I agree too.

I really don't understand a 3:30 start time for an adult party. It sounds as though it's intended to be very short. Is it literally just everyone eating cake & ice cream, staying for an hour, and then going home to have dinner? I've never been to a party like that. I would think that cake & ice cream would be better after dinner, and then people would have time to socialize too.

In any case, Happy Birthday to Mr. Butterfly12!

Kiss

AH! Must be a regional thing. And lots of people have friends and family who don't work. Actually, around here it is quiet common to invite people in the afternoon for sweets of some sort. Nobody expects to do anything but have some pie or cake, sit and chat an hour or so and go pleasantly back home to have a light supper later. People bake and invite others for an afternoon "tea" -- mostly iced--I guess you could label it. And it isn't "high tea" either, which his actually supper, but rather you could call it afternoon tea or a cream tea.

Also, people I know would far rather do that than eat dinner and a heavier dessert late in the day. Saturday or mostly Sunday afternoon is a very popular time to pop by for dessert. Friday for those who can make it would be fine too I'm sure.

My reply had nothing to do with whether people have jobs or not. My reference to 3:30 was more about it being odd because dinner for many people is not that long after.

And I'm familiar with what you're talking about, but having people over for tea or whatever is not the same thing IMO. A party to me is more of a celebration than having a piece of cake and going home. I've certainly had people come over for cake or tea, and just stay a short time. But I thought this was a birthday party - and that, to me, is a little bit of a bigger deal. Not necessarily a big deal, but certainly longer than an hour. And always with some fruit or cheese & crackers for people who may not like ice cream & cake.

I think it's the phrase "birthday party" that caught my eye. In any case, if this is what the birthday boy wants, then it's what he should have!

Kiss

I do believe the manner in which we entertain is a regional thing. I live in the Midwest where we feel inadequate if we don't feed our guests. A typical birthday celebration (even for children if adults are in attendance) would be drinks and hors d'oeuvres, then dinner, followed by birthday cake/dessert with gift opening.

Honored Contributor

In the South, we COULD have cake and call it a meal! LOL!!! I am so glad I live where we can have a party that is easy and just a lot of fun without having to whip up or put out a meal and have people there for hours when you have to go to work the next day. Y'all are a lot tougher than I am.

Valued Contributor

I'd be uncomfortable inviting people to my home and not serving food of some kind...not necessarily a full lunch or dinner course but enough to pick on at least...that's the way my mother handled guests so that's the way I roll as well. If you want to go really light you can order some cheese platters or crudites...perhaps some hot hor'doeurves as well but I would lean toward a platter of sandwiches with one or two side salads and then cake and coffee.

If you're inviting for 3:30 you could put the food out about 4ish and then the cake maybe about 5. I assume most people would be gone by 6 unless your invitation states a later time in which case I think serving something else besides cake and ice cream becomes even more important.

Have fun and happy birthday to the hubs.

Maria

Honored Contributor

On 7/18/2014 Sooner said:

In the South, we COULD have cake and call it a meal! LOL!!! I am so glad I live where we can have a party that is easy and just a lot of fun without having to whip up or put out a meal and have people there for hours when you have to go to work the next day. Y'all are a lot tougher than I am.

i prefer having a leisurely party that includes some foods.....even if they are just "nibbles" and appetizers and desserts......i dont like to rush people out of my home when we are enjoying a good time and good company. i enjoy having people over for hours!! that is why i am having them over. Smile if i didnt have the time or energy then i would not have a party at all.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

On 7/18/2014 sunshine45 said:
On 7/18/2014 Sooner said:

i prefer having a leisurely party that includes some foods.....even if they are just "nibbles" and appetizers and desserts......i dont like to rush people out of my home when we are enjoying a good time and good company. i enjoy having people over for hours!! that is why i am having them over. Smile if i didnt have the time or energy then i would not have a party at all.

Not me! We give a lot of dinners throughout the year and love doing that, but it is WONDERFUL to have people over and not make a big deal of it either, without obligating lots of time and energy on the weekends. These "come over for pie" kinds of afternoons are my favorite things to do--and friends appreciate it too. In the summer if it is nice we can eat on the deck, or by the fireplace in the winter. It is a casual, intimate and relaxed way to entertain.

Another thing we do that people love is breakfast for dinner days on weekends!

Respected Contributor

Hi ladies!! I just want to say the party was yesterday and it was perfect with just the ice cream and cake. Everyone enjoyed it and it was enough!! It was a great time. I am so glad I didn't have any more than that it would of been way to much food. Thanks for all of your suggestions!!