Trusted Contributor

What Brand Mix Master Do You Use?

As I'm preparing a side to take to Thanksgiving Dinner , I'm using my Sunbeam mix master that is probably 30 years old. 

One of the first jobs my mom had was working at a secretary for Sunbeam.  From the stories I remember her telling me, I think it was a job she enjoyed.  She was a knitter and also did crochet and made beautiful items.  I remember asking her where she learned how to do both and she said ladies at Sunbeam during their lunch break taught her!

I've been faithful to Sunbeam because that was the brand we always had at home when I grew up.  However, it seems as though everyone I know has KitchenAids.  

I only use mine about 6 times a year so as long as it keeps on working I'm going to continue to use it.  When I do have to buy a new one MAYBE I'll consider one of the smaller KitchenAid models.

How about you - what brand do you have?  Are you satisfied with what you have or do you have the itch to buy something else?

Honored Contributor

Re: What Brand Mix Master Do You Use?

My aunt had five of them stored above her stove when she died and but I don't remember her ever using one.

KitchenAid is so far above what those would do. If you bake for 1 to 3 people, and not often, the tilt head will be fine. If you do big batches get a bowl lift model.

Don't let folks scare you of the bowl lift--they are not difficult to use. And the bowl is more stable.  I had the bowl come lose while mixing a couple times over the years with the tilt-head my fault I hadn't twisted it in just right while in a hurry.

The bowl lift also has more room on the sides to add things or stop and scrape down the sides.  The bowl has a handle and is easy to lock in place.

As far as space above the mixer.  If you have a tilt head you probably have to slide it forward to make room to the tile head, which I've never had to do with the bowl life.

Just what you need and will use--get a good deal and a color your love and ENJOY!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

I use an olive green GE hand mixer from the 60's. Works like a charm for everything. My KitchenAid stand mixer is not even on the counter. I never use it.

Valued Contributor

I have a KitchenAid.  My husband got her for me the Christmas I was diagnosed with cancer.  It's been 24 years.  Last year I had to send her for service because she was leaking grease.  She wasn't here last Christmas but she made it home to help me make my son's 22nd birthday cheese cake.  She has helped me with every single birthday cake my son has had.  

Honored Contributor

I have a Hamilton Beach and it works perfect for me.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

I have a Kitchenaid stand mixer and a Kitchenaid hand mixer for small jobs.

Honored Contributor

I inherited my mother's Kitchenaid, but I never use it.  My Cuisinart hand mixer gets a workout thoough.

Respected Contributor

I have a KitchenAid stand and hand mixer, also have a Cuisinart hand mixer.

I like the stand mixer because I use it to knead my dinner rolls.

But for smaller jobs, I like the Cuisinart hand mixer better that KitchenAid one.

Trusted Contributor

I bought myself a 4 qt. (tilt head)  Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer in 1978 for $178.  I was young ( and $178 was a great deal of money), so I bought it on layaway, using money I earned after taking on a second job.

I never looked back after that. My mixer is white, the only color I think might have been available back then. It sits on my counter. I used it this morning. I love that thing.

Honored Contributor

Hamilton Beach hand mixer for me.