Respected Contributor

Wha's Cooking for this start of another decade - 2020

Happy New Year!!!

Have my black eyed peas in the pot - had them soak all night long. also tossed in the ham bone. Now to sit for a few hours and smell them - love it. Then the cornbread will get made only  have some sliced tomatoes as a  go with - cannot beat it. Good eating!!

Hope his is a great year for one and all. Sure miss you here Bev but you have a great time in Florida.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wha's Cooking for this start of another decade - 2020

I've got a turkey in the oven.  I'm going to make turkey vegtable soup & turkey tetrazzini.

Trusted Contributor

Bourbon Chicken (homemade in my Wolfgang Puck rice cooker) over jasmine rice.  Egg roll (store bought).  A Lofthouse cookie for dessert.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

We cooked the peas Monday, collard greens yesterday and will do the cornbread today!  Lots of ham in the peas.

I am not fond of the smell of any of this cooking, so we got ahead of it this year!

Happy New Year and much prosperity and happiness to all! 

Honored Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

Bourbon Chicken (homemade in my Wolfgang Puck rice cooker) over jasmine rice.  Egg roll (store bought).  A Lofthouse cookie for dessert.

@Havarti 

I LOVE Bourbon Chicken!

If you find the time to share your homemade recipe, please page me!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Black eyed peas w/chunks of ham, rice, cornbread, greens, the traditional fare!

Oh, and King crab legs w/butter, left from last night, can't let those babies go to waste, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom 

It is an odd layout but allows you to adjust the size - we just do the small one because it is just the two of us.  Sorry things are not in perfect alignment, but I think you can see what goes with which sized cooker.  I put the the chicken in (I cut it up into chunks) and pour the slurry/sauce over it.  I make the rice first, remove it & save on the side, then cook the Bourbon Chicken & serve it over the rice.  I have even been known to make extra slurry/sauce in a sauce pan because we realy like it.  Hope you enjoy!

Wolfgang Puck's Bourbon Chicken

Size of Rice Cooker:                                        1.5 c                3 cup               5 cup

Chicken Breasts or Thighs (cut or whole)       3                      6                      9

Light Brown Sugar                                          ½ c                   1 c                   1 ¾ c   

Bourbon                                                          2 Tbsp              4 Tbsp              6 Tbsp

Chicken Stock                                                  2/3 c                1 c                   1 1/3 c

Oyster Sauce, Bottled                                     4 tsp                2 Tbsp              2 T + 2 tsp

Soy Sauce                                                        2 Tbsp              3 Tbsp              4 Tbsp

Garlic Gloves, Chopped                                  4                      6                      8

Fresh Ginger Coins, Chopped 4                      4                      6                      8

Cornstarch                                                      4 Tbsp              6 Tbsp              8 Tbsp

Green onions, sliced or julienned                   2                      3                      4

Water chestnuts, sliced & Cashews                as desired

Slurry: (from above ingredients, not in addition to those ingredients)

Better than Bullion (use to make stock)         ½ tsp heaping     1 tsp                1 ½ tsp

Water                                                              5 oz                  1 c                   1 ½ c

Bourbon                                                          2 Tbsp              4 Tbsp              6 Tbsp

Soy Sauce                                                        2 Tbsp              3 Tbsp              4 Tbsp

Cornstarch                                                      4 Tbsp              6 Tbsp              8 Tbsp

Directions:

Combine all ingredients except rice & green onion in rice cooker & stir.  Cook 20 mins.

When done, serve over warm rice and garnish with sliced or julienned green onions

Perfect Rice (cook separately from chicken & sauce)                                              

Rice                                                                 1 ½ c                3 c                   5 c

Water                                                              1 ½ c                3 c                   5 c

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I'd like some Chinese carryout. Isn't that a common meal for the new year? However since we are staying in to watch the Rose Bowl, we'll have a variety of snacks centering on salsa and corn chips.

Respected Contributor

Today I will make a beef stew with dumplings.

Happy New Year to all! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oven baked country pork spareribs with kraut!  Served with mashed potatoes and arugula salad.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!