Honored Contributor

The Pioneer Woman thread reminded me to ask about this. I inherited my grandmother or great-grandmother's Vaseline glass, which is what my mom used to call it. It's a pretty light green color. I use it mostly when we have "girls' night" here. Does anyone else have any? Anything you can tell me about it? Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

My sister collects Jadeite glass and this Vaseline glass looks pretty similar

Antique place around here lady who owns it told me she can't keep it on the shelf. Maybe a tad cheaper then Jadite. She shined a flashlight on it and said "see the can't remember if she said chromium, phosporous, some kind of mineral or something in it and that's how U tell the difference.

Jadite is more whitish milky green and Vaseline is more see thru solid green.

Honored Contributor

p.s.

I wouldn't give it away or nothing hold on to it. If you keep it long enough and don't drop it you might get some good money for it .

Honored Contributor

@SharkEwrote:

p.s.

I wouldn't give it away or nothing hold on to it. If you keep it long enough and don't drop it you might get some good money for it .

LOL @SharkE - THAT'S my problem! I'm very sentimental about family items, and I am the last of the line on my mom's side, so I have a lot of family heirlooms. I would never part with them. I  do use them some. And when my children are older I hope they appreciate them too. They know the history of the things we're blessed to have. Smiley Happy

I worked at an "antique appraisal" evening, and was able to take four things in for no charge. I have my grandmother's French Limoges china, service for 12 and serving pieces, that came directly from France. It is lined with a 24K gold rim. The one appraiser who looked at it said it was beautiful, and it was worth a lot, but I would probably get about $50 for the whole set. He said it would be better to find someone I cared about to give it to. I never did plan on selling it. I was just curious about the history. All of us who worked that night were surprised by how little our treasures were really worth. 

Respected Contributor
I quickly googled it. It is called Uranium glass. It will glow in the dark with a small light is put behind it.
Honored Contributor

Re: Vaseline Glass

[ Edited ]

Vaseline glass Image result for vaseline glass

Jadeite

Image result for jadeite

Honored Contributor

If I had to choose I'd go with the Vaseline glass. All pretty, but, I like the see thru quality of the Vaseline.

Yeah, I'd keep it and hand it down.  I got collection of blown glass in my curio

Few pieces of that Svorski (however, you spell it LOL) now, that is pricey !