Honored Contributor

KA TSV --- Oh I hope I didn't make BIG mistake☹️☹️☹️☹️--update

[ Edited ]

For the past few years I have not baked like I used to (birthday/special occassion cakes, large batch of cookies,breads, etc).  I'd been thinking of "downsizing" my Pro 6 qt lift style & updating to the "tilt head" style.

I sold my other prior to buying the new one. Just stupid!!!!

I ordered recent TSV (my friend bought last years TSV & told me it was good deal). 

Today, I opened it -- this KA is so light, beaters seems so small & lightweight but what I hate most is the glass bowl doesn't really

"lock" into place.  Certainly not the KA weight or quality I'm used to!  My pro lift had metal covered with silicone beaters.

I guess the only way to tell if it's going to serve my needs is to bake something.  Tonight I'm going to make a batch of cookies.

At this point, I'm kicking myself for selling my other (although it took up a lot of shelf space & hadn't been used).   I've read the reviews they were mixed (I normally don't have a lot of faith in them).  

Perhaps it seems "light" because my other was a "beast"!!!

Did anyone here order the recent TSV or newer KA -- I'd like your feedback please.  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Re: KA TSV --- Oh I hope I didn't make BIG mistake☹️☹️☹️☹️

I don't understand why "occasional bakers" even need stand mixers.  For years I did a lot of baking, always doubling cookie recipes, and never had anything larger than a lightweight GE hand mixer that was a wedding gift.  Only last summer did I finally get Evine's top loading stand mixer which works nicely and cost me a whopping $60+.  It automatically scrapes the bowl.  I also own a KA hand mixer and it does fine on heavy cookie batters.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1, I did not order, even though I was tempted, because I have an old KA stand mixer.  If it is lightweight like you have stated, I am glad that I decided not to order.  Please report back after you have had an opportunity to use it.  I still want a tilt head with glass bowl.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 I have the same on you got on Evine. The first one sold out before I made up my mind. I watched and waited for reviews online and youtube. I then snapped up the next offering. I have a hand mixer and this one. My KA similar Wolfgang Puck one is in the cabinet. I only got that one because it had a blender attachment, so I didn't need another appliance. The blender worked until my idiot roommate did something stupid. It hasn't worked right since. I've upgraded to a Vitamix. She fancied herself her mother than can cook/bake seemingly without a recipe. She thought she could do the same. I quickly informed her that those of us that can bake/cook without recipes have made the recipe millions of times. She had no clue how the grass was cut at her house, let alone how meals were prepared. Idiot suburban babies that think things happen by magic cause mom and dad did everything. I can't tell you how quickly I made her buy her only pots/pan and mixer. She blew up my Pyrex in the oven. How do you do that?
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

your reply brought to mind my sister has a 30+ year old hamilton beach hand mixer & old cookie sheets.  She makes cookies to die for!!!

Over the years we've offered to buy her a stand mixer & new cookie sheets -- nope wants nothing to do with them!!!  she's just like what you're saying...

guess I've had a hand me down Sunbeam stand mixer (from yard sale) and my grandmothers KA mixer...then got my own.  Honestly, it's probably just me!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I bake constantly and up until about 6 months ago, I only used a hand mixer, I had a stand mixer just never used it, now my Stand mixer is constantly used, and my hand mixer is used for back up.  I have no idea what took me so long to use the stand mixer, I never knew what I was missing!

Honored Contributor

I burnt up several hand mixers before I purchased the KA stand mixer....I use my stand mixer a lot....just mixed up and baked a batch of cookies today!  I use my KA hand mixer for small jobs.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624wrote:

I don't understand why "occasional bakers" even need stand mixers.  For years I did a lot of baking, always doubling cookie recipes, and never had anything larger than a lightweight GE hand mixer that was a wedding gift.  Only last summer did I finally get Evine's top loading stand mixer which works nicely and cost me a whopping $60+.  It automatically scrapes the bowl.  I also own a KA hand mixer and it does fine on heavy cookie batters.

You don’t have one so you will never know how much easier it is to use than a hand mixer. 

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624I love my KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer, over 12 years-old.  I am an occasional baker. I am a widow. and when I do bake I enjoy my stand mixer.  I do not want to use my KA hand mixer, I enjoy using my stand mixer.  That is why people who are occasional bakers want to use a stand mixer.  Because we want to.  I will not give mine up.  So many wonderful memories came from that mixer. I also use my stand mixer for dishes I take to community events.  One fave is a twice baked potato casserole.  Mixer works perfectly.  

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1.  My mom also had a Sunbeam stand mixer with a head that could be removed and used as a hand mixer.  At some point it disappeared and it never occured to me to ask what happened to it.  They were probably the "in" appliance in the '50s.

Your sister sounds like my kind of person.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment