Respected Contributor

Re: Using Slow Cooker (Crock Pot???) for the First Time. Question.

I finished it on the stove top and reduced the liquid a little. The consistency was perfect. When I did that I pulled the chicken apart into chunks.......cooked the rice in a separate pan.

It was good, but I would probably use 1 small jar of salsa and 1 can of either crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce if I make it again. It was too salsa-y for MY taste. I would probably add some onion and garlic and cumin. I did add some cumin before cooking, but it wasn't enough.

It's definitely a recipe to play around with and easy to assemble.

By the time it was done I had to rush out to work. I made a small container to bring with my. I'm not sure how DS liked it...haven't seen him yet.

It probably would have been great if I had time to shred the chicken and serve it with different topping in a taco shell or a tortilla.

Hope this helped.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

I use my slow cooker a lot but I never have had good results with rice - so i cook it separately and add , cooked, at the very end. Some things just aren't good in a crockpot and IMO rice is one of them. Another is tortellini - they get HUGE - i cook them separately too.
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for letting us know how you liked it, Lotus. It sounds good.