Respected Contributor

Using Slow Cooker (Crock Pot???) for the First Time. Question.

I am making a recipe I found online using chicken/salsa/corn/black beans/and rice (I am using brown rice). Most of the comments said the rice comes out too mushy so I kept the rice out.

The instructions say to cook on low for 8 hours....high for 4 hrs.

My question is: Should I add the rice now and let it cook for the next hour and a half? Will brown rice cook in that amount of time? How much time in the crock pot (on high) would brown rice take with the other stuff in there?

Or should I just cook the brown rice separately?

I feel like I'm doing a science experiment.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can make.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Respected Contributor

Re: Using Slow Cooker (Crock Pot???) for the First Time. Question.

I just found this: http://www.wikihow.com/Add-Rice-to-a-Crock-Pot-Recipe

I think I will cook it separately and then add in the last half hour or so....or maybe not at all.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

Rice is tricky in a crock pot. I'd cook it separately, especially brown rice, to be sure. Have you ever tried baking brown rice? You put it in a pan like a 9 x 13 pan, pour boiling water over, cover with foil and stick it in the oven to bake. I have never had it fail and it is not gummy either.

I don't have the recipe with me, but I'll bet you can search on the internet for it.

Good eatin'! Sounds wonderful!

Regular Contributor

Do you have a newer crock pot? They tend to cook hotter. Eight hours seems too long to me, although your recipe is sounding really good.

Trusted Contributor

I would leave out the brown rice because I would be worried that it would not cook completely. The thing is though, your casserole will probably have more liquid because the rice is not in there. The ingredients sound delicious. If you cook the rice separately, you can just serve the chicken mixture over the rice.

Respected Contributor

LOL.....it's so old I forgot how old it is......over 10 years for sure.

It'll be in there about a total of 6.5 - 7 hours......I got a late start.

Agreed......cooking the rice separate. I'll do it stove top this time....but the oven method sounds interesting...thanks. I'll google.....or wait for you to post the cooking time.

Respected Contributor

On 1/13/2014 oceantown said:

I would leave out the brown rice because I would be worried that it would not cook completely. The thing is though, your casserole will probably have more liquid because the rice is not in there. The ingredients sound delicious. If you cook the rice separately, you can just serve the chicken mixture over the rice.

It is a little liquid-y.....I just peeked. I think I'll transfer to a stove-top pot and let some of the liquid reduce.

It smells really, really good.

Trusted Contributor

Lotus, let us know how it turns out!

Respected Contributor

I surely will......I'm not sure if I'm a slow cooker type of gal.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I transferred to a large frying pan with lid that's about 2 inches deep....took the chicken out and broke up the 3 breasts (tasted a small piece...really good) and it's now simmering on the stove top.

Rice is boiling.

I'll try and report back before I have to leave for work at 6p.

Thanks again, ladies. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Valued Contributor

Follow the recipe directions.