Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving - what kind of bread do you use for dressing?

On 11/10/2014 Pie1993 said:
On 11/6/2014 Hooty said:

I use Pepperidge Farm herb seasoning stuffing mix along with cornbread made from Jiffy corn bread mix! I like using the herb mix, then all I have to add is black pepper for seasoning!

Do you throw in the entire box ? and then follow the directions on the Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix package ? I want/need something easy.

Here's my recipeSmile

2 boxes Jiffy Mix mixed up to the package directions, to this add, 1 med chopped onion, the top half of a bunch of celery, chopped and 2-3 tabls of good quality rubbed sage.

Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes. Cool and break it up into a large mixing bowl. Add 1 bag of Pepperidge Farms Cubed Stuffing Mix and enough Swanson Low Sodium Chicken broth to make it pretty moist. 3-4 cans I think..

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

OP here- It seems most of you just make meatless dressing. Do any of you use sausage? I plan to make my usual sausage dressing with 1 box of Jiffy cornbread and a bag of Pepperidge unseasoned cubed bread. I'm afraid if I bought seasoned, it would be too much since I will be using sausage. If I can't find unseasoned, hearty fresh toasted bread.

Honored Contributor

On 11/10/2014 luvthatboxer said: I never make dressing. I don't get it to begin with. Kind of weird if you really think about it.

Why is it weird?

Respected Contributor

I use Pepperidge bagged stuffing every year and add some celery and onion and Bells seasoning. If I did it any other way my family would be disappointed. I don't put it in the bird either.

Honored Contributor

yellow cornbread from scratch, anything less and my Grandmother would come down from heaven and spank me. We all had to watch her for years and write down receipe as she went since she did not have one.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Regular Contributor

On 11/10/2014 luvpoos said:

I use Pepperidge bagged stuffing every year and add some celery and onion and Bells seasoning. If I did it any other way my family would be disappointed. I don't put it in the bird either.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but please tell more about Bells seasoning. What is it?

Regular Contributor

On 11/10/2014 Pie1993 said:
On 11/6/2014 Hooty said:

I use Pepperidge Farm herb seasoning stuffing mix along with cornbread made from Jiffy corn bread mix! I like using the herb mix, then all I have to add is black pepper for seasoning!

Do you throw in the entire box ? and then follow the directions on the Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix package ? I want/need something easy.

You fix and cook the mix first and then you crumble the cornbread into the stuffing mix.

Honored Contributor

On 11/10/2014 Yahooey said:

OP here- It seems most of you just make meatless dressing. Do any of you use sausage? I plan to make my usual sausage dressing with 1 box of Jiffy cornbread and a bag of Pepperidge unseasoned cubed bread. I'm afraid if I bought seasoned, it would be too much since I will be using sausage. If I can't find unseasoned, hearty fresh toasted bread.

I make well-seasoned croutons with the sourdough bread AND I use sausage. It's not at all too much, I find. I like to flavor-layer, though.

What I use, and it might sound weird but it's really flavorful, is Jimmy Dean sausage. I buy one roll of the 'sage' variety and one roll of the 'hot' variety. Now, I don't do 'hot' but mixing that with the sage makes wonderful flavors. I sauté that up, well-crumbled, and add it to my cookedwild rice (which I do NOT season except for a bit of salt in the water). Then the sautéed veg, etc, and the sourdough croutons all get added with additional seasonings.

Respected Contributor

ID2 - what is the name of the package sage and onion mix you buy. I love this blend but have never seen it here in U.S. In u.k. It is very common. Would love to be able to buy this. Thanks
Honored Contributor

I like to use a soft Italian bread or sour dough and I toast it first, I use loads of chopped celery, onion and garlic , sausage and cubed potatoes.