Super Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving - what kind of bread do you use for dressing?

On 11/7/2014 Rocker said:

Cornbread and biscuits.

That's what I use. Homemade cornbread and biscuits.

Regular Contributor

On 11/6/2014 Shop Till you Drop said:

We use plain white bread, a couple of biscuits torn up to small pieces and cornbread. Very Southern and yummy good Smiley Wink

I'm with you except I toast the loaf bread.I also use a whole can of day old biscuits and cornbread from a box of jiffy cornbread mix, although I only use 3 of the corn muffins.

Respected Contributor

On 11/6/2014 Hooty said:

I use Pepperidge Farm herb seasoning stuffing mix along with cornbread made from Jiffy corn bread mix! I like using the herb mix, then all I have to add is black pepper for seasoning!

I agree, and this from a deep Southerner. Jiffy is super easy and can be done the day before or week before and frozen. After all, stuffing is stale breads. I use chicken broth, mix with finely chopped onions, peppers, celery and saute in butter until fragrant, then mixed with stuffing mix and cornbread. Then into greased pan and topped with turkey wings for a self basting effect. I bake until wings are done and dressing is firmed up all over. My great aunt is the one that started me on the finely chopped mix and in butter. That really adds great flavor even to the seasoned Pepperidge Farm mix. I don't like onions and do like this. She was an old school lunch lady/farmer's wife that worked when you had to know how to cook to work at a lunchroom. Now it is all heat and eat muck!

Honored Contributor

I save the heels and ends of the various types/kinds of bread I use in the month of Nov, cube them up, and throw them in the freezer. I toast them and mix my stuffing with the other luscious stuff and I have a very tasty stuffing.

Super Contributor

Cornbread and a few slices of regular white bread or biscuits...........This is the way my DM and grandmother both made theirs.........Every family and different areas all have favorites .........just make your dressing/stuffing the way you enjoy it!
Respected Contributor

Homemade biscuits, and Jiffy cornbread and a bag of PF cornbread mix.

I cook chopped onions and celery together in some butter, add a can of chicken broth, then the crumbled up biscuits/Jiffy Cornbread and PF cornbread mix and sage or poultry seasoning. Add extra water or broth and mix. Bake.

Not applicable

home baked biscuits

Honored Contributor

I LOVE the stuffing that I make! So does my family! I just use the packaged stuffing (onion & sage) and put in all my other goodies and mmmmmmm!

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

I never make dressing. I don't get it to begin with. Kind of weird if you really think about it.
Trusted Contributor

On 11/6/2014 Hooty said:

I use Pepperidge Farm herb seasoning stuffing mix along with cornbread made from Jiffy corn bread mix! I like using the herb mix, then all I have to add is black pepper for seasoning!

Do you throw in the entire box ? and then follow the directions on the Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix package ? I want/need something easy.