Honored Contributor

Re: Temptations ...yikes!!!

[ Edited ]

Tara should make her products with a crackle glaze so the crazing is less noticeable.

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 - I'm sorry this has happened to you! I have been fortunate to never have any of my Temp-tations pieces craze, but that may just be the luck of the draw and the fact that most of my pieces are from the early days. However, one other thing that I know helps is that I never put any of my stoneware in the dishwasher. I know Tara always touts that as a great feature of her pieces (and so do many other stoneware manufacturers), but soaking any part of any stoneware item that is unglazed can allow water to seep underneath the paint and glaze in the rest of the piece and cause the whole item to deteriorate. (And that's assuming the original piece was fired properly; if it wasn't, the crazing can appear with exposure to even minor temperature variations.)

Good luck with all your other pieces! I hope there are no more casualties...  Smiley Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have never bought temptations and never will.  I always figured if they could roll out that much dishware, it had to be cheap.  I have read these horror stories before. 

I will stick with what I have that are mostly 40-45 yrs old and still look like new.  I have Princess House dinnerware, Debbie Mumm, Corning ware, Pyrex, etc.  I have some Fiesta mugs, too.

Also, Tara always expounds on the fact that temptations are freezer, microwave, oven and dishwasher safe, so they should be able to be used safely, which evidently they are not able to be used safely.

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1  Stoneware crazes. It just does. My grandmother's English stoneware pieces are crazed because she used them a lot. Some of my Temp-tations are crazed, but I still use them. Now, does the lead in the paint/glaze leach into the food? I have no idea. I'm too old to worry about that for myself, but I use non-crazed stoneware when baking for family and friends just in case.

Trusted Contributor

@Patriot3 - you are absolutely correct about Tara bragging on how durable her stoneware is.  NOT! Don't forget how she says her items are non-stick - no butter or oil needed.  Also not true.

If you don't grease or spray her bakeware it sticks like crazy, at least alll of mine do.  Not a quality product which many of us invested in only to be disappointed in its performance.  When I bake brownies in my 8X8, I line it with parchment or foil with enough on the sides to lift the baked item out to cool.  Then I store it in my L&L as Tara's storage covers are not airtight.  I bought L&L glass bakeware and am very pleased with it.  You do have to grease or spray but nothing sticks, bakes evenly and airtight storage covers.  Good product.

Honored Contributor

@EatWell 

@KingstonsMom 

My apologies then ... I didn't know there even was "crackle glaze" especially with Temptations...I only know that when they "crazing of the glaze" its not good! Smiley Sad

I just checked my other pieces, several older pieces (FL) have many mini glazing crazing issues perhaps I didn't notice them because they are dark blue.

I've been a long time "lover" of Temptations for table serving and setting.  

Very interesting about stoneware which others have pointed out.  Yes, I do put them in dishwasher.  Perhaps they've been washed to many times and water seaped in.

no way are they "brown"...the bowls were white.

Again, accept my apologies ... so many times things become argumentative here ... those who love Temptations (including me) find this disappointing.  I have bought the seasonal boofetti and patriotic although they are still in the boxes!

Now, I'm a Fiestaware collector.  Slowly, I've gone to many of their pieces with no problems. And of course, Pyrex and Corning from way back when.

I won't donate to anyone except trash...If I can't use wouldn't want anyone else too.

Respected Contributor

The only stoneware I have is Polish Stoneware. It is exceptional quality.  I  bake in it frequently and always put it in the dishwasher. I have dinnerware , serving dishes and mixing bowls. 

For a kitchen item that I want to use on a daily basis I would never buy something that has to be babied, such as hand washing.

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1  rather than discarding them, how about using the bowl as a planter?

I bought many sets in the begining and I still have them. Those were made differently I guess. I also hand wash them rather than putting them in the dishwasher.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Boy am I lucky.  I only have one set of Temptations, a sealed box I got at an estate auction.  It is one of the original offerings on this line.  I can tell because of the flat tray-like lids and the wire holders.  I had never bought any pieces directly from QVC because of the negative reports right on this board.  This set was such a bargain I couldn't pass it up.  And because it was original production, the quality is great.  No issues of crazing whatsoever.  And it is the most non-stick baking stuff I own.  These go in the oven constantly and when I do leave in water for awhile there have been no issues whatsoever.  

Honored Contributor

@depglass 

Maybe the older ones (and I still have the original set -- they are perfect & were manufactured better with quality control.

At this stage and 15+ years lots of things from various vendors has been lacking QC.

I still think they are nice mixed and matched when setting the table with my other dinnerware pieces.