Respected Contributor

Mom always used a stick of Spearmint Wringley's gum (green kind), no ants.

We had sticks of gum on every shelf of the spice cabinet and on the back of the counter where the sugar bowl was and in the lower cabinet where the sugar was stored.

I guess I'm lucky, in this house, a sugar bowl sits on a shelf above the sink and no ants.

Regular Contributor

I have a sugar bowl on the table all the time and no ant problem.

However, I have lived in two other places that had an ant problem. I'm convinced they have their homes in the ground and follow their little trails into houses.

In my last apartment the landlords regularly treated for them but in that case they wanted the cat food. I put the cat food upstairs on top of the washing machine and of course they found it. Cat food was the only thing they bothered.

In the other house they wanted sweets and knew exactly where the honey jar was.

So I think if you have an ant problem- they will come. If you don't - you won't get them.

Honored Contributor

I have a sugar bowl, and have never had ants get in it.   The most disgusting thing I ever saw on a hoarding show, was an open sugar bowl that was crawling with maggots from where flies laid their eggs in there!   I'll take an ant any day over a maggot!  

Honored Contributor

I collect 'em, along with matching "creamers" and display them on a shelf over my kitchen sink.

Don't know exactly why, but a sugar and creamer set has always meant "home" in my kitchen.

Mine are currently filled with packs of Truvia, but I always have a little box of white sugar for guests.