Respected Contributor

I am considering buying a sugar bowl.  My only concern is that of ants sneaking their way in - although I don't have any ants.  Does anyone have a sugar bowl and, if so, any way I can prevent this from happening?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

I keep my sugar bowl in the refrig.  I used to store it in a cabinet, but my current apartment is prone to ants and I just don't want to risk attracting more.   I've never had them find the sugar since I put it in the refrig.  (Two or three years now)

Respected Contributor

I have never ever seen ants getting into a sugar bowl, either when I was growing up or as an adult in my own home.  I have always lived in Colorado.  Is that a problem in other climates?

Respected Contributor

I'm going to buy one I saw on ebay.  So cute!  If ants find their way in, I'll wash it and pour fresh sugar and stick it in the fridge.  Thanks for your remarks.  Woman Happy

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Contributor

I do keep a sugar bowl, however, it contains the packets or tubes of sugar. In that way, the ants have no access and the sugar never clumps and is always fresh!

Honored Contributor

I have a sugar bowl - Fiesta in fact.  I've always had a sugar bowl.  It has a lid, not a very tight one.  I keep it in one of my cupboards that I also keep spare containers in, a couple of small casserole dishes in.  I have never had an ant problem at all in or anywhere around my sugar bowl.  My parents always had a sugar bowl too and never had any insect probelems having it either.

Go for it I say.  Buy yourself a lovely sugar bowl and don't be afraid to use it!

Respected Contributor

Hi pommom! Since you don't have ants, perhaps it's a non issue, so don't worry about it.

I do have one suggestion, though....and it happens to be a peccadillo of mine. Look for a sugar bowl w/ a 'cut out' on both bowl & lid which allows a pretty spoon to sit nicely - otherwise the lid is always ajar! 

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

I always keep our sugar for morning coffee in a sugar bowl. I've never even heard of ants getting into it but I don't live in a warm climate so maybe that makes the difference.

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

I still have a sugar bowl, but haven't had ants in it. I do get antsaround my kitchen sink every spring....but a little borax gets rid of them.

Valued Contributor

I have (2) old-style Tupperware sugar "bowls"  that we've used for years.  They have a snap tight lid that lifts for pouring on one side or scooping out on the opposite side of the lid.  I doubt they are in their current catalogs, but could find at a yard sale.  Never any insect issues, spilling or hard sugar.  Good luck.