Respected Contributor

I wasn't aware that Smithfield was located in China and that meat is sent to the USA!

Gross!!! 

Honored Contributor

Yes, they sold to a Chinese firm a couple of years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkerbell3 wrote:

I wasn't aware that Smithfield was located in China and that meat is sent to the USA!

Gross!!! 

@Tinkerbell3 .... Yes, it’s been a few years now .... I haven’t bought anything from Smithfield for at least 4 to 5 years now ... I don’t trust any food related items that comes from China ... I don’t even eat Chinese food 👎

Honored Contributor

My heart is with the animals.Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

@Tinkerbell3

@phoenixbrd

@January121

@Mindy D 

@PINKdogWOOD 

Anyone who thinks that Smithfield is exporting some of the plentiful U.S. pork supply to China and then IMPORTING it back again is believing in some incredible  fake news

.  (Not to mention giving credence to a premise that isn't based on common economic sense--we have pork processing facilities right here on U.S. soil, so why pay to import that food?)

.  A Chinese company bought Smithfield because China needs  our pork to meet pork demand in its own country, and Smithfield needed some financial support at that time.

Smithfield and its Chinese owners EXPORT the  pork--to China!

We don't need to import pork products. The U.S. raises and processes enough hogs to stock the shelves in your local grocery store--with many different brands, by the way.

Get the facts straight here:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/smithfield-foods-slaughterhouse-china-brings-081913092.html

Honored Contributor

Well isn't this a disgusting thought. I used to buy Smithfield bacon thick sliced all the time, it's good, flavorful - or it used to be. I will  not be buying anything in this brand from now on.

It's hard to find a really good thick sliced bacon that has great flavor. I'll be checking out the brand Wright to see about this one b/c I do buy this brand too.

Respected Contributor

More info to bust the myth that Americans are being sold "Chinese pork raised in the U.S."

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/smithfield-foods-china/

Respected Contributor

Shame on Smithfield.

Respected Contributor

Well, I guess no one here wants to buy the different Smithfield ham products available on the QVC website.

Consumer choices based on false information and beliefs are not really informed choices at all, perhaps??

I'm not a paid spokesperson or even a special advocate for Smithfield.  I simply have a degree in journalism (before anyone ever heard of fake news) and believe in facts.

Honored Contributor

@sann wrote:

Shame on Smithfield.

For what?  Shame on them for sending US pork to China?

They have millions of hungry people.  We export food to other countries everyday and import food too.  That's how trade works.