Respected Contributor

Detailed article..

How China purchased a prime cut of America’s pork industry.

Trusted Contributor

Honestly if you really researched you would be amazed at the number of companies who you "think" are US brands but are owned by foreign companies.  I'm in no way surprised that Smithfield is owned by a Chinese Firm.  

Honored Contributor

As if the word 'China' makes Pork gross.🤦‍♀️
Gross Pork can stand very well on it's own, thank you. 

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Well, I guess no one here wants to buy the different Smithfield ham products available on the QVC website.

Consumer choices based on false information and beliefs are not really informed choices at all, perhaps??

I'm not a paid spokesperson or even a special advocate for Smithfield.  I simply have a degree in journalism (before anyone ever heard of fake news) and believe in facts.

I buy ham slices all the time and their one of the few who doesn't load down meat with salt. I hate salty fries, salty meat, salty chips, etc.

I think people read something and jump to conclusions all the time don't take the time to process it.

Respected Contributor

@mimomof4 

Right.  Everything from auto to grocery businesses seem to have some foreign ownership. 

I wouldn't particularly like to see large foreign stakes in our U.S. real estate, whether it be land or buildings.  Don't know how extensive that has already become, but at least we don't have to import or export our real estate!  LOL!

Respected Contributor

@Tinkerbell3 

As several posters have noted, China  bought Smithfield Ham company a few years ago to guarantee their supply of pork.

I was reminded by another poster months ago when I elected to not buy my vitamins at WalMart because of their China import status:  check the labels as a great quantity of meds and vitamins have been imported from there and not just by WalMart.

As for not eating Chinese food:  are you talking the actual food components or merely the style of cooking?  E.g., we eat a lot of Italian food but it is not imported, it is just the cuisine style.

With the coronavirus now cropping up in so many countries, there are many areas we haven't even thought of that will be impacted ( see the Business and Financial sections of news reports ).

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@Tinkerbell3 wrote:

I wasn't aware that Smithfield was located in China and that meat is sent to the USA!

Gross!!! 

My Mom told me a while ago.  I was surprised to say the least.  I no longer buy it.

Honored Contributor

This company was despicable long before they sold to China.   I would never purchase anything by this company and it also includes a few other well-known company names under their umbrella.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt     was that you I read the other day that was talking about buying a new SUV and it had no CD player in it ? We're gonna buy one when the '21's come in and hope you don't have to have a smart phone to  stream music now in your car.

This isn't the case with all new cars is it ?

Esteemed Contributor

Animal Cruelty!!!   Smiley Sad

Why do people still eat so much pork??? You must have seen the horrible treatment   they receive!

Pigs are very,very smart and loving animals and are soooo cruely treated!!!  How can you live with that knowlege and continue to eat it?

Please stop eating all pork products!!

"Pray for Pigs"