Honored Contributor

Re: Slow Cooker Recommendations

@eddyandme wrote:

Thank you for your recommendations.

@JeanLouiseFinch

How do you hard-boil eggs in a slowcooker?

@eddyandme I don't do them in a slowcooker, I do them in a Ninja 4-in-1, on a stovetop setting.

Put 3 cups of water in the Ninja.  Lay the Ninja mesh basket inside the pan.  Load your eggs on the basket (I made 18 at once, which would probably be the max.).  Turn on a kitchen timer for 25 minutes.  Set the Ninja to STOVETOP HIGH.  Put on the lid.  When the kitchen timer goes off, turn off the Ninja and transfer the eggs to ice water for several minutes to allow them to cool down. When you're ready to peel, tap the egg all around and they should peel clean.  

*If you like to pierce your eggs, do it on the fat end and then after the ice water bath, stand the eggs up on a towel so any trapped water can run out.

Esteemed Contributor

Well ladies, I just ordered a basic 4qt slow cooker from Prime. Only three settings, but the size is perfect for me as most of the time it's just me and Eddy, my furbaby. When I first got him, he'd eat anything he was given. But, because imo he needed extra vitamins due to a previous injury, I added fresh fruits and veggies, along with diary, poultry, fish and meats to his diet. So, don't do fancy cooking and this will eliminate casserole dishes!

FYI, Eddy's favorite veg is air-fried brussel sprouts! and, he loves a tomato, rice, cabbage casserole I make for both of us.

Any recommendations for slow-cooking for two would be appreciated. And, again, thank you all for your crockpot suggestions.Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I have a 7 qt older Hamilton Beach and its a real workhorse.  I use it a lot and there is just the 2 of us, but I take it to a lot of potlucks at our church and group meetings.  IMO if you buy a small crock you will not be happy due to the fact you cant cook "extra" in it.  If I cook to much chili, etc, I freeze it.  Amazon has some really nice crockpots that are now digital and are more portable.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie

Thanks for the advice!

I, too, like Hamilton Beach products. I've got a toaster and coffeemaker and these appliances work well and seem to stand up at least as well as their more expensive counterparts. In fact my HB toaster turns out more evenly toasted bread than my KA every did!

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme I also have a Hamilton Beach mixer that works very well and a cost a whole lot less than KA.  Im in the market for a food processor and I have it picked out, its also a Hamilton Beach and cost a whole lot less than the other brands.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

@hopi wrote:

Ninja 4-1

I agree with this.  Have had mine for years and use it several times a week.  Love the versatility of the features.