Respected Contributor

Re: Slightly OT: Dinner invitation conundrum

If it were me, I'd probably accept and when I got there tell her that you've just come from another engagement (birthday party, whatever), and they served a big meal, so you're kinda stuffed (you didn't mean to eat so much knowing that she was serving dinner, but it was SOOOO good you couldn't resist!) and please don't mind if you just have a taste. And, have a taste. You never know, you might like it after all!

For dessert, bring something that you know you both love and enjoy. Hope it's a good movie!

Honored Contributor

On 3/18/2015 suzeecat said:

If it were me, I'd probably accept and when I got there tell her that you've just come from another engagement (birthday party, whatever), and they served a big meal, so you're kinda stuffed (you didn't mean to eat so much knowing that she was serving dinner, but it was SOOOO good you couldn't resist!) and please don't mind if you just have a taste. And, have a taste. You never know, you might like it after all!

For dessert, bring something that you know you both love and enjoy. Hope it's a good movie!

The problem with that is that you shouldn't eat any of your own dessert, if you were really posing as being full. Smile

Respected Contributor

I don't know what you have decided to do regarding the corned beef invitation, but I'll add my thoughts. Your friend will be going to a lot of trouble to prepare the meal... for herself and for you. Since there won't be other guests, I think it's rude no to tell her in advance that you don't eat corned beef. Suggest you order a pizza instead or reschedule for another time if she wants to celebrate St. Pats with corned beef without you.

I have a friend who prepares many dishes I can't eat (for a variety of reasons). If it's just the 2 of us, I discuss the issue with her. I don't want her to shop and cook and then see my avoiding some of the food. If it's a larger crowd, I mention I'd love to come and will not be eating a particular dish, but I'm sure there will be enough other things, so not to worry. After all, it's only 1 meal and I'll enjoy the company. I often offer to bring a dish. Other people take different approaches, but in my opinion, she is the hostess and she gets to decide what to serve and when. I don't try to change her plans, just let her know my concerns.

Respected Contributor

If she's a friend of mine, I would say, "I would love to come watch a movie with you, but I'll be passing on the corned beef".

(A lot of people don't like corned beef).

Honored Contributor

On 3/18/2015 Sunshine Kate said:

If she's a friend of mine, I would say, "I would love to come watch a movie with you, but I'll be passing on the corned beef".

(A lot of people don't like corned beef).

Ditto to that. Why make something up? 'Sounds great, I'd love to have a movie night with you but if it's just you and I, I have to tell you I'm not a fan of corned beef or any of the accoutrements!' and

'What movie did you rent 'cause I hate romantic comedies' {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Sorry, but have to disagree with this. It is totally wrong to let a host go to all the trouble of cooking and for just the two of you (it's not like there are a house full of people coming, and she wouldn't notice what or how much you ate), then not eat. That is a lot of work, and money, just to be snubbed. It would be rude, and down right mean.

Unless you have a medical or health issue with foods (in which case it is always ok to share with friends and family that you may have to bring your own allowed foods), you should either bow out of the invitation saying that you just can't make it that day, or s#ck it up and eat the other foods offered. Unless you will literally hurl at the dinner table, it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Respected Contributor

Since it's going to be the two of you, and you've been.planning to.get together to watch a movie for awhile, I say just tell.her "I'd love to come over Sunday.and watch that movie. But I'm.not a fan.of St. Patrick's Day dinner. Could we have something else instead? " Or maybe you.just could go.over for the movie and dessert. I don't see anything wrong with that. I wouldn't want to go to.all the.trouble to cook a meal.like that for a friend, only to have her tell me she doesn't care for any of it after it's on the table. That would be annoying, imo. In this particular situation, as the o/p described, I'd want to.make something that the friend would enjoy. If she wants to do the corned beef, she can do it Saturday or Monday for herself,.for example.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

On 3/17/2015 FunkyHulaGirl said:

Well, it's going to be just the two of us (unless her son doesn't have to work and joins us), so I can't really hope she'll get distracted while I feed the food to her dog. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Frankly, boiled potatoes and cabbage don't appeal to me either; I think I might just go with the suggestion that I tell her I "can't" eat corned beef, tell her I'd love to spend the afternoon with her, and ask if she didn't mind if I brought something else for me to eat - I could pick up a sub or a pizza or something.

I figure if she already has the corned beef she's going to cook it anyway, so she can have it for a few meals, but I'm not putting her on the spot by expecting her to provide something else for me. Of course I'll bring a dessert. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

I would be very careful feeding her dog the food you would not eat. What happens if he gets sick?????

Respected Contributor

On 3/18/2015 mominohio said:

Sorry, but have to disagree with this. It is totally wrong to let a host go to all the trouble of cooking and for just the two of you (it's not like there are a house full of people coming, and she wouldn't notice what or how much you ate), then not eat. That is a lot of work, and money, just to be snubbed. It would be rude, and down right mean.

Unless you have a medical or health issue with foods (in which case it is always ok to share with friends and family that you may have to bring your own allowed foods), you should either bow out of the invitation saying that you just can't make it that day, or s#ck it up and eat the other foods offered. Unless you will literally hurl at the dinner table, it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

This, and it's not a cheap meal either. I'd be appalled if my friends didn't just tell me the truth. I would never serve a meal my company couldn't eat. If it's a lot of guests I do vegan and regular food.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Maybe you can just go, put some corned beef on your plate, and ask for a flavorful condiment such as a spicy mustard or horseradish. Those would be sure to almost totally mask the flavor of corned beef!!!!Wink Or I can go in your place, since I absolutely LOVE corned beef and cabbage!!!!!