Valued Contributor

ISO: Quick Dinner Bread (or roll) Recipe, Please!

Hi Ladies,

Anyone have a tried and true recipe for a quick dinner bread or roll recipe? While I do often bake my own bread, occasionally I want fresh, home made bread FAST! Especially when it's a night I've decided to make soup and only think about the bread last minute.

Anyone have a go-to?

TIA{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Esteemed Contributor

Re: ISO: Quick Dinner Bread (or roll) Recipe, Please!

Here are 2 I found for myself. Haven't tried them yet. Hope they help!

30 minute hot dog rolls

1 cup plus 3 tablespoons warm water 110 degrees

1/3 cup of canola oil

1/4 cup of sugar

2 full tablespoons active dry yeast

1 teaspoon salt

1 egg beaten

3 1/3 cups bread flour

1 pat of real butter

Directions

Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Assemble all the ingredients. Use exact measurements. Do not substitute ingredients and follow the recipe exactl.

Rinse a large mixing bowl with hot water to warm it up. Add warm water, oil, sugar and the yeast. Set the timer for 15 minutes.

While you are waiting for the yeast to work, measure your flour and add the one teaspoon of salt to the flour and mix well. Beat the egg.

After the 15 minutes is up and the yeast has had a chance to work, add egg and the bread flour a little at a time to the yeast mixture with a whisk until it starts to get thick, and then trade your whisk for a wooden spoon and finish adding the rest of the flour or as much as needed to make a dough you can roll. It will be a nice tender dough.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board. Roll to about 3/4 inch thick and cut out with a 4 inch glass or a clean can. Transfer the cut out dough to the parchment paper. If you want hotdog buns, turn the sides down and under to overlap and lay on the parchment paper. If you want hamburger buns, use the entire circle and place it on the parchment paper.

Brush tops of buns with the melted butter. Dont' skip this step because it makes them like store bought buns!

Let buns rise in the oven with the light on for about ten minutes. Then pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees and bake buns 10 minutes. Enjoy!

Cook's Tip: These buns freeze really well for later use.

QUICK AS A WINK YEAST ROLLS

Ingredients

1 package rapid rise yeast
2 1/2 cups pioneer buttermilk biscuit mix
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup warm water, around 115 degrees on the thermometer

Directions

1 Dissolve the yeast and the sugar in a small measuring cup, and let it stand 5 minutes, then stir in the biscuit mix.

2 I use Pioneer brand buttermilk biscuit mix. Make a dough and knead until it is smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.

3 Roll out the dough and cut into round shapes. (You can make other shapes if you wish.) You will get around 20 rolls, less if you make them bigger.

4 Place the cut rolls on the greased baking sheet and let them rise until double in size, about 30 minutes or so, and bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown.

Valued Contributor

Thank you, zhills! I appreciate it.Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

Its an oldie but goodie and was my Mom's go-to!

• 1 tube (12 -16 oz) refrigerated biscuits
  • 1/4 c. butter, melted
  • 1 T. minced garlic (or 1 t. garlic powder)
  • 2 T. grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 T. sesame seeds
  • 2 t. dried basil
  • 2 t. dried oregano
  • 2 t. dried thyme
  • 2 t. dried sage

• You can use ANY combination of herbs and spices you’d like.

• Preheat oven to 400* F
  • Place 1/4 c. butter in an 8 or 9" round baking pan and put in oven while preheating
  • Cut each biscuit into 4-6 chunks (depending if they are regular or "grand); set aside
  • In a small bowl, mix together cheese and all dried herbs; add to melted butter
  • Roll biscuit chunks in the pan with melted butter until evenly coated- (top both extra if any)
  • Bake in preheated oven for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown.
  • Serve immediately!

Honored Contributor

Beer and Bisquick, stir to mix (don't over mix) and put in muffin tins. There's a recipe somewhere, but I just make this to be a thick batter. Some people put a little sugar in, I don't. Dark beer is even good.

Frequent Contributor

@Zhillis, could the 30 minute hotdog rolls be made into a loaf?

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think so. I have not made these but I understand that she changed it to make these.

Here is her site: http://www.justapinch.com/. For a quick loaf, you might try this:

Recipe: Easy Beer Bread

Summary: Crusty & delicious, this simple bread comes together fast!

Ingredients

• 3 1/2 cups self-rising flour
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 12 oz. can beer (any variety)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 stick butter

Instructions

1. Mix flour and sugar together in large bowl.
  2. Add beer and egg to flour mixture and mix well.
  3. Scrape batter into greased loaf pan; bake at 350 for 50 minutes.
  4. Remove bread from oven; melt butter. Brush melted butter onto bread and return to oven to bake 5-10 additional minutes.
  5. Cool on wire rack; serve with a hearty soup or beef stew!

Preparation time: 5 minute(s)

Cooking time: 1 hour(s)

I think there is a connection in the amount or type of yeast and cooking time. Maybe not?

Valued Contributor

Thank you, ladies!
Honored Contributor

Have you tried the Pillsbury ready-to-bake dough? I've made the crescent rolls and the Grands biscuits. Both very good and easy, though it can be a challenge to break into the package.

Super Contributor

These were excellent. I added a 1/2 teaspoon of basil and a 1/2 teaspoon of oregano. I got 2 dozen dinner rolls from this recipe. It also makes very good sandwich buns (I added a 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder and a tablespoon of dehydrated minced onion for the sandwich buns). As a loaf of bread, it was fabulous when fresh out of the oven. It wasn't very good, after the first day, though.

http://realmomkitchen.com/139/mollys-rolls/

Actually, the major cigarette companies have started making electronic cigarettes. They're just not selling them under the same brand names. RJ Reynolds makes one called "Vuse" and Philip Morris has the "MarkTen". I tried the MarkTen, which is very similar to smoking an actual cigarette, but it tastes awful, IMO.