Honored Contributor

Re: Slightly OT: Dinner invitation conundrum

So, she'll spend her time cooking dinner that she will eat while you have pizza or a sub? If you don't like the menu then don't accept the invitation, it's beyond rude to bring your lunch to someone's home who has invited you to dinner.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/17/2015 occasional rain said:
On 3/17/2015 January121 said: I would tell her the truth so you don't have to pretend or make excuses when you are there ... the truth is always the right way to go. I am sure she will understand.

No, it isn't always the right way to go. If you tell a hostess you don't like her menu, it puts her on the spot to provide something you do like.

I agree. It sounds as though the friend is excited about her St. Patrick's Day menu, is all set to go ahead with it, and invited the OP to join her. It's not as though they're making dinner plans and deciding what food to prepare. This already seems to be a done deal, and it's up to the OP whether she wants to accept the invitation as presented or not.

And there are lots of other situations when the truth isn't always the right way to go. Sometimes it's more important to be kind.

Trusted Contributor

Since it is a boiled meal all the veggies are going to have been flavored by the corned beef and you probably won't like them either. I know that doesn't help but you will have to eat something from your plate. We had 20 people over for a Corned Beef dinner last weekend.I invited my neighbor who had no problem telling me she can't stand it and that was fine by me. She just didn't come over.
Super Contributor

I am assuming this is a good friend of your's?? I would have just told her the truth. I don't like corned beef and cabbage but I'd love to see you and hang out/watch a movie. Do you mind if I eat beforehand or bring something with me? Done. I hardly think she'd be offended or tell you to stay home. And IF she did-----then forget her.

Honored Contributor

Sure I would go. Might mention in my acceptance that I look forward to seeing her but that I don't eat corned beef.

Trusted Contributor

It's just one night. Deal with it. If you're invited to dinner, you either eat what they serve or you don't go. Bringing your own food because you don't like what's being served is crass.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/18/2015 PamelaSue72 said:

It's just one night. Deal with it. If you're invited to dinner, you either eat what they serve or you don't go. Bringing your own food because you don't like what's being served is crass.

Absolutely. And re-read post #5. These are the adult and graceful behaviors.

Super Contributor

I would go; it's nice to support a friend's efforts. And I would keep an open mind: sometimes someone will prepare something you don't like, but the way they prepare it is different than other times you've had it.
Esteemed Contributor

True. Last year I made a corned beef dinner that my Irish mother always enjoys. Sister said brother would not eat it. He loved the way I cooked it and served the beef with a grainy mustard. Give it a try.

Respected Contributor

When it comes to good friends I say honesty is the best policy. Otherwise she'll notice you not eating it and once you lie you just have to add on to that to keep the story going. Friends don't deserve that.

IMO if you really don't like something the smell alone can be nauseating.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*