Honored Contributor

Re: Scared off a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer purchase!

I'm about 10 minutes behind live tv, but they are showing a special, limited edition, KA stand mixer.      It looks nice and all, although I'm not interested.

But the first thing I noticed when I looked at the description here on the website is that it says 'Imported'.   We know what that means.  They used to actually put 'Made in China' but scrapped that for 'Imported' a while back.  Kinda hinky if you ask me, but then nobody asked me.  Smiley Very Happy

The people who keep not believing me when I've stated that SOME of their stand mixers, at least sold on QVC now, are Made in China might want to make note of that.  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@chickenbutt  I do believe you but normally the mixers are made in Greenville.  Maybe QVC gets a better deal with the imported.

Honored Contributor

@hellokitty wrote:

@chickenbutt  I do believe you but normally the mixers are made in Greenville.  Maybe QVC gets a better deal with the imported.

Hi!   Yeah, I think you're right about that.    I've always found it fascinating that some products, especially heavy and/or bulky ones, made in China can be so much cheaper to acquire when there is also the cost of shipping heavy items added to the cost of manufacture and materials.

Respected Contributor

we bought a ka bowl lift mixer last december from qvc and it was worth every penny. it handles double batches of cookie dough very easy. we had a ka stand mixer that was smaller and couldnt handle double batches of cookie dough. thats why we bought the bigger and much more powerful to handle all the christmas cookies my wife makes.

Respected Contributor

I think the best mixer to buy has gotten complicated. It depends on how you will use it IMO. 

At one time, everyone bought a Sunbeam (like my mother and grandmother) and that was a great choice at that time. As Sunbeam products declined in popularity (and quality), Kitchen Aid stepped in and began making excellent mixers. 

The issue seems to be, does Kitchen Aid still make the best stand mixers? I'm not sure, but I have enough reservations that I wouldn't jump in and buy one right now.

My 45 year old Sunbeam still works fine, but you can't knead bread with these old mixers. And someday the mixer may fail.

If I buy a new one, I plan to look at all brands. One that interests me very much is Bosch.  

Frequent Contributor

I am so glad to see that someone feels the same way as I do about KA stand mixers.  I have gone thru 2 left bowl pro models in less then 2 years.  Their customer service was not good...done with anything KA.  Purchsed a small Hobert mixer.