Honored Contributor

STRANGE CHICKEN NAME

[ Edited ]

Rarely post here, but have to tell you about my whole chicken. I've always asked behind the counter person to take the back out of my chickens, so I press them flat and they roast in the same time as chicken pieces. Well, to my dismay it's called "spatchcocking".

I cook it in a lg.cast iron skillet preheated and brown the top of the chicken on the stove top with a bit of olive oil. Then flip it back over to cook in the oven. It's ready in 50-60 minutes.

Anyone else heard this term?

Respected Contributor

Yes. I once bought a spatchcocked (flattened) chicken at Aldi's. Flat, but still tastes like chicken. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Never have.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Shanus 

Never did a lot of cooking, but have read many recipes, esp. at holiday time.  Read the word but no article ever explained it or I just blithely skipped over it.

Thanks for 'splaining it !  Makes a lot of sense too !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

Many many times

Honored Contributor

Yes. I have an interest in cooking and have many interesting cookbooks.

Honored Contributor

Image result for spatchcocking bird. Size: 224 x 160. Source: www.learningtosmoke.com

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Always, but never liked the way it looks in presentation.... a flat chicken all splayed out like that....not for me.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

When Curtis Stone is on hsn, he often will do a "spatchcocked" chcken.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  I first heard the term while watching Food Network shows a couple of years ago. I've also seen shows where they spatchcock (butterfly) a turkey on Thanksgiving.

I looked it up when I first heard the term because i made me chuckle.

If I remember correctly, it was found in a 18th century cookbook.  I guess it an Irish phrase for "dispatch the c*ck" or kill the chicken.