Trusted Contributor

Thanks, @Icegoddess !  Is your cornmeal self-rising?  I've not seen, that I can recall,  White Lily cornmeal in the stores I shop.  This may be just the recipe for me (no sugar nor flour).  I thInk I want a cornbread that's somewhat dense as opposed to cake-like in density.

Esteemed Contributor

@vabreeze This is what I use.  The white cornmeal to me is less dense than yellow, more delicate I guess.  So, if you want more like what you would get in a country restaurant, I would go with yellow. 

White Lily.jpg

Super Contributor

Two things I REALLY miss are FRIENDS BEANS  and AUNT JEMIMA COFFEE CAKE 

MIX which also came with it's own little pan to bake in!

Esteemed Contributor

@vabreeze 

We use Palmetto Farms (palmettofarms.com) yellow cornmeal and follow the recipe on the bag.  It does well with in an iro skillet or as corn muffims.

It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well prepared you are to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Theme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@vabreeze , I just use the one on the back of the White Lily Cornmeal package.  I use white cornmeal.  

2 Cups Cornmeal

1 1/4 to 1 1/2 Cups Milk or Buttermilk ( I generally use 1 1/3 C Buttermilk)

1/4 Cup Vegeteble Oil or melted Shortening

1 Large Egg slightly beaten

I put my 8" cast iron skillet in the oven with a small amount of oil in it as it pre-heats to 400 deg F.  I add my oil and egg to the buttermilk and then use a whisk to beat the egg and mix those ingredients before pouring into the cornmeal and combining.  Do not overmix should be a bit lumpy Pour that into the hot skillet.  Cook for 25 to 30 minutes.

Alternatively, you could use a 10" skillet and cook for 20 to 25 minutes.

@Icegoddess & @vabreeze 

We also use White Lily cornmeal.  Very good, too!

It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well prepared you are to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Theme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

I love Rice a Roni, but I haven't had it in a long time because of the sodium. Even though I eat plenty of other sodium-laden things that I shouldn't. I saw a recipe to make your own Rice a Roni knockoff, but that is way too much trouble lol.

Also loved creamed chipped beef on toast (speaking of sodium!), but years ago noticed I couldn't find the Buddig beef anymore. Different meats but not the beef.

@VanSleepy - FWIW, when I discovered how tasty the Stouffer's frozen creamed chipped beef was, I stopped making my own—I'm one of the only people who likes it, so it's much easier to pop a package in the microwave a couple of times a year when it sounds good instead of going to all the trouble of making a big batch and forcing myself to eat more than I ever wanted.  Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@SurferWife Thanks much for your replies! 

Occasional Contributor

I actually still buy both of these items on a regular basis.

Respected Contributor

Re: Rice A Roni

[ Edited ]

I love Rice a Roni, we had it alot when we were growing up but wow is a box getting skimpy. I dont remember how many ounces a box use to be but geez, my hubs can eat a whole box on his plate, I have to make 2 boxes now.

I like the Mexican style vs. the Spanish style as you dont need a can of tomatoes for the Mexican one. I cut back a bit on the water and put about a 1/2 cup of salsa in while preparing it, than melt shredded cheddar on it when done, yum! Great as a side with tacos.

I like the long grain wild rice and the rice pilaf ones too. 

eta~ hi Jannabelle   Smiley Wink

Super Contributor

@godi Oh DEAR, I will not forgive you for making that Rice A Roni jingle stick in my head today!