Trusted Contributor

Thanks, @Icegoddess !  Is your cornmeal self-rising?  I've not seen, that I can recall,  White Lily cornmeal in the stores I shop.  This may be just the recipe for me (no sugar nor flour).  I thInk I want a cornbread that's somewhat dense as opposed to cake-like in density.

Honored Contributor

@vabreeze This is what I use.  The white cornmeal to me is less dense than yellow, more delicate I guess.  So, if you want more like what you would get in a country restaurant, I would go with yellow. 

White Lily.jpg

Super Contributor

Two things I REALLY miss are FRIENDS BEANS  and AUNT JEMIMA COFFEE CAKE 

MIX which also came with it's own little pan to bake in!

Honored Contributor

@vabreeze 

We use Palmetto Farms (palmettofarms.com) yellow cornmeal and follow the recipe on the bag.  It does well with in an iro skillet or as corn muffims.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@vabreeze , I just use the one on the back of the White Lily Cornmeal package.  I use white cornmeal.  

2 Cups Cornmeal

1 1/4 to 1 1/2 Cups Milk or Buttermilk ( I generally use 1 1/3 C Buttermilk)

1/4 Cup Vegeteble Oil or melted Shortening

1 Large Egg slightly beaten

I put my 8" cast iron skillet in the oven with a small amount of oil in it as it pre-heats to 400 deg F.  I add my oil and egg to the buttermilk and then use a whisk to beat the egg and mix those ingredients before pouring into the cornmeal and combining.  Do not overmix should be a bit lumpy Pour that into the hot skillet.  Cook for 25 to 30 minutes.

Alternatively, you could use a 10" skillet and cook for 20 to 25 minutes.

@Icegoddess & @vabreeze 

We also use White Lily cornmeal.  Very good, too!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

I love Rice a Roni, but I haven't had it in a long time because of the sodium. Even though I eat plenty of other sodium-laden things that I shouldn't. I saw a recipe to make your own Rice a Roni knockoff, but that is way too much trouble lol.

Also loved creamed chipped beef on toast (speaking of sodium!), but years ago noticed I couldn't find the Buddig beef anymore. Different meats but not the beef.

@VanSleepy - FWIW, when I discovered how tasty the Stouffer's frozen creamed chipped beef was, I stopped making my own—I'm one of the only people who likes it, so it's much easier to pop a package in the microwave a couple of times a year when it sounds good instead of going to all the trouble of making a big batch and forcing myself to eat more than I ever wanted.  Smiley Wink

Trusted Contributor

@SurferWife Thanks much for your replies! 

Occasional Contributor

I actually still buy both of these items on a regular basis.

Respected Contributor

Re: Rice A Roni

[ Edited ]

I love Rice a Roni, we had it alot when we were growing up but wow is a box getting skimpy. I dont remember how many ounces a box use to be but geez, my hubs can eat a whole box on his plate, I have to make 2 boxes now.

I like the Mexican style vs. the Spanish style as you dont need a can of tomatoes for the Mexican one. I cut back a bit on the water and put about a 1/2 cup of salsa in while preparing it, than melt shredded cheddar on it when done, yum! Great as a side with tacos.

I like the long grain wild rice and the rice pilaf ones too. 

eta~ hi Jannabelle   Smiley Wink

Super Contributor

@godi Oh DEAR, I will not forgive you for making that Rice A Roni jingle stick in my head today!