Esteemed Contributor

@candyagain, the LaChoy double cans of Chinese dinners are still available in grocery stores. My hubby loves them, so I occasionlly buy it with a fresh package of the crunch noodles to put on top. A little light soy sauce too, and you're good to go for a somewhat decent and filling meal! (LOL)! Actually, I kinda like it too once in awhile!

Trusted Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

@candyagain, the LaChoy double cans of Chinese dinners are still available in grocery stores. My hubby loves them, so I occasionlly buy it with a fresh package of the crunch noodles to put on top. A little light soy sauce too, and you're good to go for a somewhat decent and filling meal! (LOL)! Actually, I kinda like it too once in awhile!

Thanks, I haven't seen them but I don't go down the supermarket aisle too often that it's probably in. I remember buying the extra noodles, too. I used to use the La Choy vegetables to make egg foo yung.

I'll look for the double cans. Winter is coming and they'd make a nice snowed-in meal!

Honored Contributor

Never heard of 7-up candy.  

I don't think I've ever had Rice a Roni, but I remember the commercials growing up.  I'm really not much of a rice eater except I LOVE Zatarains Red Beans & Rice that I add grilled Kielbasa to.

I only make cornbread from scratch.  My Ex used to use Jiffy Mix and I can't eat it, too sweet. 

Never got to eat Jiffy Pop either. I'm really not a popcorn fan, but I always thought that would be so fun.  

Yes, they do still make Miracle Whip, blech!

Respected Contributor

I remember as a child, I loved Bosco - chocolate syrup you mixed with milk.  I am not even sure that they still even manufacture it.  But it sure was good.

Contributor

I love Manwich.  I can remember mom making it decades ago.  I still eat it today!

Trusted Contributor

i liked it as a kid. so i bought some the other week, and i still like it  lol

Respected Contributor

I love Rice a Roni, but I haven't had it in a long time because of the sodium. Even though I eat plenty of other sodium-laden things that I shouldn't. I saw a recipe to make your own Rice a Roni knockoff, but that is way too much trouble lol.

Also loved creamed chipped beef on toast (speaking of sodium!), but years ago noticed I couldn't find the Buddig beef anymore. Different meats but not the beef.

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes 

We always keep cornmeal in our pantry.  My husband makes cornbread from scratch; no boxed mix here.  We order ours from SC.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess @SurferWife 

Do you mind sharing your cornbread recipes?  I think of Jiffy as corn muffins-- it's not the cornbread my mother made.  Mother has passed; how I wish I had gotten her to teach me how she made hers.  

I saw a You Tuber make cornbread with the most yellow cornmeal that she had gotten from an Amish store and I have been on a hunt for quality cornmeal ever since. Is there  @SurferWife  a website to review for the place you get your cornmeal in SC?

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@vabreeze , I just use the one on the back of the White Lily Cornmeal package.  I use white cornmeal.  

2 Cups Cornmeal

1 1/4 to 1 1/2 Cups Milk or Buttermilk ( I generally use 1 1/3 C Buttermilk)

1/4 Cup Vegeteble Oil or melted Shortening

1 Large Egg slightly beaten

I put my 8" cast iron skillet in the oven with a small amount of oil in it as it pre-heats to 400 deg F.  I add my oil and egg to the buttermilk and then use a whisk to beat the egg and mix those ingredients before pouring into the cornmeal and combining.  Do not overmix should be a bit lumpy Pour that into the hot skillet.  Cook for 25 to 30 minutes.

Alternatively, you could use a 10" skillet and cook for 20 to 25 minutes.