Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have a sure fire method for removing the silver membrane  on the back of pork ribs? I usually use a spoon or knife and give it a good tug, but today the membrane refused to budge!  I couldn't even get it started, even holding a paper towel because it's hard to grasp. Any suggestions? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Rib membrane removal

[ Edited ]

Google "Removing FELL from meat"....( that membrane is called "Fell")

You might try dropping the rib section in boiling water for a minute, removing it, and dragging the serrated side of a sharp serrated knife along the membrane, applying gentle pressure....

That might pick it up enough to remove it.

Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

@Othereeeen Thanks for the suggestion.  I will keep it in mind since summer is rib season.  I never knew the membrance was called a FELL. Another tidbit to file away!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@2zbeach Get a screwdriver or a butter knife and poke it under the membrane and lift up a patch of it.  I start at one end.

Get a paper towel and grip the edge you loosened and pull.  Membrane should come right up with a little pulling. We always do this before we put dry rub on. 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner Thanks for the reply,Sooner, but what you posted is my normal routine for removing the fell.  It just didn't work with the ribs I had.  I googled, but nothing new popped up, so I asked here.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

pliers

nice tidy pair of needle nose pliers

or if you want to go official they have:

Ergo Chef Myron Mixon Pitmaster BBQ Rib Skinner - Rib membrane remover (Rib Skinner Pliers)

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Trusted Contributor

@TheMemphisVette  Perfect!  I will definitely give needle nose a try next rib day! Thank you.

Honored Contributor

I mainly cook a thicker country style rib which is an individual piece.  

Even with baby back slab ribs, I do not remove the silverskin.   We do not grill our ribs.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop We don't grill ribs either--we smoke 'em!  

Super Contributor

I made some the other night.  I learned from a chef to score the back making cuts in several directions across the back of the ribs.  Works like a charm