Trusted Contributor

Refrigerator/freezer organization

We bought a new refrigerator this weekend, so I thought I'd ask for your tips on keeping an organized fridge!  Mine always looks good for a while and then before you know it, we can't find things,  LOL

Hoping that it will be delivered next month - fingers crossed!  We bought a 'quad' french door model, so something different.

Looking foward to hearing your tips Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Refrigerator/freezer organization

[ Edited ]

I have a French door fridge. We discovered the best organization for us was to put the items used most often on the right side. Those used less often go on the left. Our particular fridge works best when the right door is opened and then the left is easily opened and closed. If yours is designed that way, it makes getting at items simpler.

Edited to add: The right side is to your right as you are facing the fridge. I realized that could be confusing.

Honored Contributor

IN GENERAL--no rules much just what we do:

French Door:  Milk tall drinks upper left; Dairy and fruits, cottage cheese, and misc. below.

Mayo, eggs in cartons, misc glass jar items, upper right.  Middle right shelf, olives and such in the back, misc. on the middle right shelf such as lettuces, berries, etc. wrapped meats to use in a day, must be in bags or wrapped and on a tray or in a bowl, misc such as cartons of berries--what we have that week. 

Bottom right shelf, pickles etc in jars inback, front for wrapped meats, berries, misc. wrapped meats to use in a day, must be in bags or wrapped and on a tray or in a bowl, misc such as cartons of berries--what we have that week. 

Crisper, lemons, fruits, misc in left one; veggies in right (excess on left).

Large flat drawer under:  Cheeses on left, yogurt starter.  On right any lunch meat, Better than Bouillon, etc.

Doors: Catsup, soy sauce, half and half, mustards, jams and jelllies, etc.  

Esteemed Contributor

We bought a new refrigerator earlier this year and I bought some tray about 1 inch in depth and in one tray I put jelly, fruit cups, in another I have meats, in another I have leftovers etc. I found my fridge stays neater and we can just slide out the tray. Also the trays keep the fridge cleaner and all you have to do is clean the tray. I also bought some rubber mats to put on the shelves for misc items. 

Trusted Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

We bought a new refrigerator earlier this year and I bought some tray about 1 inch in depth and in one tray I put jelly, fruit cups, in another I have meats, in another I have leftovers etc. I found my fridge stays neater and we can just slide out the tray. Also the trays keep the fridge cleaner and all you have to do is clean the tray. I also bought some rubber mats to put on the shelves for misc items. 

I like the idea of trays!  No matter how much I try, we end up with spills on the shelves!

Honored Contributor

I use trays also so nothing is set directly on the refrigerator shelves which makes separating items into categories easier.  I have plastic egg keepers also and have bins for butter, jellies.  I have a lazy susan type bin made for refrigerators that condiments can be put in so nothing should get pushed to the back.  Still with all that often there is some chaos but much easier to deal with and keep clean.

Honored Contributor

When we got a new fridge a few years ago, I restocked everything just as it was packed before I took everything out. It was easy to do and made total sense to me. We knew where to look for the goods in the same one just as they were in the old one taken out. 

Honored Contributor

@Knit-Chick 

Something that has been helpful for me ... I bought two lazy susan turntables for the top shelf in the fridge for multiple bottles and jars.

Really works well.  Got them at Amazon.

Honored Contributor

This isn't  my fridge, but everything has a spot.  I follow the Home Edit and they have amazing products at the container store and wal mart.  

24 Kitchen Storage Ideas You Need to Try | Extra Space Storage

Honored Contributor

When we got our refrogerator with side freezer 2 years ago, I got some of these organizers for small things (amazon) in both fridge and freezer sides.

Refrigerator storage bins BPA free.

Stackable. $25.99.

Refrigerator Organizer Bins, Clear Pantry Organization and Storage with Cutout Handles, Set Of 6 Stackable Plastic Freezer Organizer Bins for Fridge, Cabinet, Kitchen Countertops - BPA Free