Valued Contributor

Recommend a knife set in a butcher block, anyone?

My dh loves to cook, and could really use a nice knife set in one of those butcher block things, where they self-sharpen. Or are those not any good? I'm afraid I don't know much about these things, and could use some helpful advice. TIA!

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Frequent Contributor

Re: Recommend a knife set in a butcher block, anyone?

I would recommend any of the Wusthof Classic sets. I have a set that is 20 years old. Love it! Bought sets for our two older children as shower gifts. They are expensive, but worth it. You will never have to buy another set of knives. They also sell knife sharpeners. Crate & Barrel, Williiam-Sonoma, and Sur La Table sell them and also have sales at least once a year.
Honored Contributor

Wustof and Henkels are both good knives. I have Cutco and love them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

My daughter gave me this type of knife set for Christmas, and it is by Zwilling J. A. Henckels, Hawthorne, NY, with a lifetime warranty. The knives are much nicer than what I have used for years, and I like them. The price was around $200, which is on the lower end for a chef quality set of knives.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't buy a knife "set" which would probably include knives he'd never use. I'd invest the money in a couple of great quality knives that he will use all the time. You can start with a chef's knife and a paring knife, then add to the collection on other holidays if he wants or needs another type of knife.

Honored Contributor

I have several Cutco knives (Chef's, paring, steak, etc.) and use them almost daily. They're costly but well worth the price.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Valued Contributor

I would also recommend the Wustof brand. However, if he really loves to cook, the way to go is having knives that AREN'T in the wooden block. For a number of reasons. First, the knives and woodblock can harbor bacteria, even after being cleaned. And second, if he reaches for knives quite a bit while cooking, it's good to have them out where he can see the blade. Please know that I say this as someone who owns and likes my butcher block knife set. BUT, if I had the space or the appropriate set-up in my kitchen, I would have one of the magnetic strips out where I can see it, and then have my knives on that. Blade and handle apparent the eye.

Respected Contributor

Back in November I asked this question. A couple of people responded whose children went to culinary school and they suggested Victoronix. That's what I ended up getting and these babies dance circles around the above mentioned brands. I thought I had good knives before, but the Victoronix is a different animal all together. There are more expensive Swiss knives out there, ( Victoronix is Swiss), but these are fabulous for home cooks and I can understand why culinary schools would prefer them. Poodlepet2
Valued Contributor

Thank you for taking the time to answer my Q, everyone-I truly appreciate it! We don't have much room in our kitchen, or I would definitely like to go for that magnetic strip idea. The home we are in now has many great features, but a big kitchen isn't one of them. I don't know why I didn't think of the bacteria or how hard it is to clean those butcher blocks-I guess because they knives go in them clean; but that doesn't mean they can't still get dirty & they are impossible to clean. Good tip, ty for pointing that out. I am off to research about all the choices people have given...thanks again, everyone.

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Super Contributor

On 2/12/2015 Poodlepet2 said: Back in November I asked this question. A couple of people responded whose children went to culinary school and they suggested Victoronix. That's what I ended up getting and these babies dance circles around the above mentioned brands. I thought I had good knives before, but the Victoronix is a different animal all together. There are more expensive Swiss knives out there, ( Victoronix is Swiss), but these are fabulous for home cooks and I can understand why culinary schools would prefer them. Poodlepet2

I totally agree and for the price I know of no competition.