Honored Contributor

Re: Recommend a knife set in a butcher block, anyone?

On 2/12/2015 AnikaBrodie said:

I have several Cutco knives (Chef's, paring, steak, etc.) and use them almost daily. They're costly but well worth the price.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} This is all I use, and they definitely get a workout! A local college student was selling them during the summer and we bought the set that included the slanted butcher block holder. I love it. Since then we've added to the set, so we got a bigger butcher block holder from them when DD's friend sold them a few years ago. I have Japanese knives, but I don't use them any longer. Smile

Regular Contributor

I have a Henckels' knife set that I bought at Costco years ago, but the knife I find I use the most is a santoku knife(the Henckel set didn't have one) that I bought @ Sam's Club in their food service section. It was first sold under the Tramontina brand, now Sam's Baker&Chef. And Costco now sells them too under the Tramontina brand.

Honored Contributor

I bought either Wusthof or Henckels years ago and then bought some Cutco when a neighbors kids was doing the Cutco thing for the summer.

Cutco is much better but much more money. I only use the big chef's knife from my Henckels now and Cutco for the rest.

Super Contributor

This is an interesting topics but it all boils down to what works best for you but like others, unless I had the funds I would not purchase a full knife block set and even then I would in order to fill the knife block get different knives from different manufacturers.

The reason Cutco knives are "sharp" is because of the serrations, but I can tell from personal experience with the Cutco paring knife that it is not close to the quality of several of my others.

Some of my most used knives (which I sharpen to a dry shaving edge) are actually the "cheapest".. i.e., Wolfgang Puck yet if I am making Sushi I would still prefer a Shun or Global.

Respected Contributor

I have several different brands of knives and I have them in a kapoosh block. You can put knives in how you want them and take it out and wash it as well. Wustoff and Henkels are my favorite knives, but I bought some techniques from here that look like Global knives as well. Keeping them sharp is key to any knives IMO.

Try to find some that are similar handles that you see him use the most. And I have a magnetic strip but I didn't care a lot for it. You have to scrape the knife to get it off sometimes and the knives eventually get magnetized.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

LOL, If my husband could cook, I'd so get a block like this. Don't care for the style of knives but the block is great.

~~
Super Contributor

On 2/14/2015 debc said:

I have several different brands of knives and I have them in a kapoosh block. You can put knives in how you want them and take it out and wash it as well. Wustoff and Henkels are my favorite knives, but I bought some techniques from here that look like Global knives as well. Keeping them sharp is key to any knives IMO.

Debc, I have 2 of the kapoosh that I got at BB&B ..how do you clean them as I just bought a new one to replace my 6 yr old one?

Honored Contributor

On 2/14/2015 debc said:

Try to find some that are similar handles that you see him use the most. And I have a magnetic strip but I didn't care a lot for it. You have to scrape the knife to get it off sometimes and the knives eventually get magnetized.

I have the kapoosh block, too. I really like it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I have LamsonSharp knives in a block. They're made by Lamson & Goodnow in Shelburne Falls, MA. The company has a history that goes back to the 1800's in MA. The knives are wonderful.

Respected Contributor

On 2/14/2015 4uthebest said:
On 2/14/2015 debc said:

Debc, I have 2 of the kapoosh that I got at BB&B ..how do you clean them as I just bought a new one to replace my 6 yr old one?

I just pop it out and put it in the top rack of the dishwasher. Shake it out and let it dry.

~~