Occasional Visitor

Re-thinking Host Food Consumption on Shows

When COVID struck, QVC adopted safety guidelines for show hosts with regard to consuming the foods they were promoting.  Show hosts no longer ate on their shows, and the eating was never as visually noticeable to me before COVID as it seems to me to be now.  Eating on food shows has been reinstated, and we are back to watching show hosts sampling multiple products, and it seems most of the shows featuring foods have brought out quite intense embracing and tasting by the hosts. I find these show hosts have lost some indignity in their presentations, and I am  turned off by all the focus on their putting the food into their mouths, chewing, talking while they're eating, rolling back their eyes in ecstacy, and doing dances to celebrate each bite of each item in each promotion.  I'm assuming that program directors think watching the food tasting and ensuing ecstacy exhibited by the hosts increases sales.  However, I would imagine that even without the tasting, QVC did qute well by its food vendors during the year-long COVID tasting restrictions.  I also don't remember as much food being promoted as there is now.  It seems there are hours of gourmet holidays, shows in the kitchen with various hots, food featured in home shows, and the incredible displays of prepared food shown to promote cooking products, followed by the tasting and sampling.  These shows have always been very entertaining and full of variety due to the colorful personalities of the show hosts and the elaborate displays of food.  Tara is a prime example of what one can sell by the pure art of preparation and display, and I have yet to see her take a bite on the air.  I love the show hosts, don't get me wrong, but maybe a little less of the focus on their actual consumption of food with all the focus on their chewing and repetitive excited displays of delight.

Honored Contributor

Re: Re-thinking Host Food Consumption on Shows

I think most people are fine with others eating.  We even have meals and parties centered around eating.  I think if you are bothered, you are in a minority.  

Respected Contributor

I don't need to watch someone eat. At meals and parties I'm not focused on watching someone chew.

Honored Contributor

How would you know the food is edible, no less very good, unless they eat it live on air?  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

The tasting doesn't affect me, but I would like to know how often the host is thinking I don't like this.

Honored Contributor

With all the food on display, I would hope everyone involved , hosts, camera people, producers etc. take the food home or it is donated.  As far as hosts eating the food, I find it amazing how everything they sample they like!!!!!  LOL

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

With all the food on display, I would hope everyone involved , hosts, camera people, producers etc. take the food home or it is donated.  As far as hosts eating the food, I find it amazing how everything they sample they like!!!!!  LOL

Food that has been left out under studio lights is not fit for donation.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

lots of information about food phobias available on internet 

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Super Contributor

I stopped buying food during the pandemic. They were prohibited from eating even though food is not a carrier (didn't we all get take out ? ) but the amount of waste was unbelievable. They were doing the guy fron Shark Tank who was selling a cooked prime rib, for example, and the set was covered with over $1500 + and it all went in the garbage. People were all over the country were waiting for food most being prepared by strangers. I WILL NEVER buy food from QVC again.

Honored Contributor

My theory about them having more food shows these days is the difficulty all the companies are having getting their hard goods delivered from overseas vendors.  They are filling the void with food shows, IMHO.