Respected Contributor

Re: Rastelli Ribeye or Filet mignon for Easter?

Most tender or most flavorful are not the same cut.  Go to the best butcher in your area and tell him/her which you want.  You will get it a better quality for a better price than offered here.

Trusted Contributor

My local butcher had Prime Grade Filet Mignon a few weeks ago. And I succeeded in getting them medium rare.  Tender, tender, tender.

I love the mild taste and with a Beaux Freres 2008 Pinot Noir, Heavenly.   

Well-marbled Ribeyes yummy too, the fat does make it very flavourful; however, with some jaw issues, usually it is filet for me. 

A friend who likes “black and blue” prefers the New York Strip. 

Honored Contributor

No doubt - ribeye!  It's the most flavorful, extremely tender, cut.    None of the others come close for flavor.

I made my first purchase from this brand this year and could not be happier.  I bought the pork ribeyes.  They are beautiful.   I did a review on that product page but, for some reason and for several years now, whenever I do a review, even though it has my ID on the page, it publishes as 'Anonymous'.

Anyway, a filet is not a bad cut of meat, like round or sirloin for quality, but it's nowhere near as flavorful as a ribeye.

Esteemed Contributor

You can buy excellent steaks from Costco or your best local butcher. Personally I wouldn't pay s&h from anywhere.

Honored Contributor

IMO ribeye with the bone in, is the most tender of steaks.

Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1wrote:

My father was a meat cutter and I grew up eating nothing but Iowa beef. The filet mignon is part of the tenderloin, so it is the most tender. I've had a few less than tender ribeyes, but I've never had a tough filet/tenderloin. That said, I think the ribeye is more flavorful because it has a little fat. You're free to shop wherever you wish, but I'd encourage you to find a reputable meat market or grocer with quality cut meats. I prefer to see the steak in the meat case before I purchase it. JMO.

I totally agree!!