Respected Contributor

K47057 - Copper Chef Electric Skillet

[ Edited ]

I'm thinking about this electric skillet since I've never had one. Did anyone else order this item.  And if you have an electric skillet do you use it often?  if so for what food items?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: K47057 - Copper Chef Electric Skillet

My mom used her tabletop electric skillet at least once a week.  I remember her making "Busy day Chicken" , a recipe from a Campbell's soup label. "Mmm-mmm, good!"

ALL those soup recipes worked great in there.

She did pork chops, grilled cheese, potato pancakes, and often whole meals like sausage with sauerkraut cooked together in there.

It was especially good for Sloppy Joes since you could turn the temp down and just keep it 'warm' after it was done cooking.

I think it was in use at every kids party so she could keep an eye on us while she made our lunch right at the dining room table instead of being stuck in the kitchen.

If you put a shallow round or oval rack in there it would be good for streaming and poaching a good sized piece of salmon.

Super Contributor

I just ordered it too. I like that it is big and can hold lots of food. I have a smaller one that I have had for years, but it was just too small for some things. I like that it is not coated with Teflon or some other material that will wear off. Can't wait to get it. First up will be fried pork chops with cabbage. 

Super Contributor

Hey Sharke You gonna get it?!

Regular Contributor

Hedge, your mom sounds a lot like how my mom used to cook and use her electric skillet.

I used to have an old electric non-stick skillet (think it was a West Bend), anyway found I never really used it that much. The only thing that I really used it for was to make bacon. I would take it outside put it on a patio table, newspaper underneath to catch grease spatters, then fry away. It was nice not having the house smell from bacon cooking and no grease all over kitchen surfaces. But since we don't eat bacon anymore I sold it at a yard sale.

Honored Contributor

Received one for a wedding gift in the 60's.  I think it had Teflon.  I think I used it quite a bit.  I fried chicken in it (not deep fried though) and I remember making a skillet lasagna. 

Esteemed Contributor

Don't have this one but I had one the same size that was the older style.

When the children were home it was used every day.  I like fixing skillet meals for dinner.

The big plus for us was that it heated and held the right temp.  The kids would turn it on, get ready for school and do pancakes init  almost every day.  The fact that it didn't have to be watched every minute made it well worth the money!  Mine was not as easy to clean as this one should be.

Trusted Contributor

I bought the 12x12 inch version of the Copper Chef Electric Skillet on Walmart's website during Black Friday 2017 for $10.00.

It's ok.  I use it for breakfast every Saturday and Sunday since I got it.  Still looks brand new and the non stick is holding up. I've never had an electric skillet before so I can't judge it compared to another brand.  I keep mine cranked up to 425 degrees because I don't like the constant on and off as it regulates itself.  Things can be simmering away then come to a stand still as it shuts itself off, so I try to keep it as hot as I can.

But for 10 bucks I can't complain.  It does a decent job making my pancakes and hashbrowns.  Not sure I would pay more than 20 for it.

Respected Contributor

I have a beautiful, round T-Fal electric skillet that I got from QVC back when they sold lots of T-Fal.  I just love it.  I have certain recipes that I make in there and they always come out great.  It's going strong and still looks brand new.  I would highly recommend owning one.  Before I bought the T-Fall one, I owned a West Bend and I loved that too.  I only gave it away because I wanted to try the T-Fal one.  They seem to last forever.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Esteemed Contributor

@MezzieStarr, you got an exceptional bargain!