Trusted Contributor

Rastelli Ribeye or Filet mignon for Easter?

[ Edited ]

Today on Gourmet Holiday, Ray Rastelli said the Ribeye steak is the most tenderest of all steaks.   I was told by a retired butcher that the Filit minion is the most tender.

I’m confused.  Which one is it?  Ribeye or Filet mignon?  My father likes his steak prepared “Black and Blue.”

I want to order me some steaks from QVC  for Easter bbq.

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Rastelli Ribeye or Filet mignon/

I'm a Filet Mignon person.  That's the only kind of beef I eat.  I buy one or two of them (from the butcher) every week.  I even put it in the home made vegetable soup I make (I know it's 'overkill' to put it in soup), but I like it.

I've bought several different brands of Filet Mignon from QVC.

A few months ago I bought some from one (too lazy to go look) and it was supposed to be separate cuts and you know what they did?  When I opened the individual package instead of one piece of meat several of them (all, so far) are pieces stuck together.  

In other words they are tips made to appear to be cuts (like if you were eating a piece of steak at a restaurant) and they were at least 2 pieces stuck together.  

I'd call that misleading and/or cheating the public.  Wouldn't you?

Now I've bought from this QVC company specifically where they've labeled them Filet Mignon TIPS and that's fine but these were supposed to be individual cuts and they weren't.  Ugh!

Respected Contributor

Re: Rastelli Ribeye or Filet mignon for Easter?

Most experts think rib eye is the most tender of meats.

Don't think you could go wrong with either.

Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

The filet mignon cut on a cow is, undoubtedly, the most tender cut of steak you'll have. The cut from a rib roast is one of the most flavorful, thanks to incredible marbling that allows its fat to give it a taste and tenderness boost naturally. The filet is considered a fancier, more delicate cut.

@EatWell

Esteemed Contributor

My father was a meat cutter and I grew up eating nothing but Iowa beef. The filet mignon is part of the tenderloin, so it is the most tender. I've had a few less than tender ribeyes, but I've never had a tough filet/tenderloin. That said, I think the ribeye is more flavorful because it has a little fat. You're free to shop wherever you wish, but I'd encourage you to find a reputable meat market or grocer with quality cut meats. I prefer to see the steak in the meat case before I purchase it. JMO.

Trusted Contributor

I've heard time and time again that ribeye is the tenderest, and it happens to be my favorite.  I love filet mignon too, but I have had it once or twice when it was a little too lean, I think I would say, not as favorful as ribeye.  Maybe it was just overcooked, but that was my opinion of it.

The ribeye has more fat, as others have said, so I think that's why it's so good.

Honored Contributor

DH and I eat filet when we eat steak. That’s pretty rare occasion for us. Enjoy!!

Esteemed Contributor

@butterfly123wrote:

The filet mignon cut on a cow is, undoubtedly, the most tender cut of steak you'll have. The cut from a rib roast is one of the most flavorful, thanks to incredible marbling that allows its fat to give it a taste and tenderness boost naturally. The filet is considered a fancier, more delicate cut.

@EatWell

@butterfly123 I ditto what you said. My problem lately has been to find any beef that has the flavor it used to. Maybe Rastelli is better, I don't know. I'm not going to spend that kind of money. If I have the time, I buy steaks and throw them in the fridge and let them age for a week. Belive it or not, they taste better. Could just be my imagination?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rastelli Ribeye or Filet mignon/

Annabelle - I also was so disappointed - in fact - thawed a package of them today - had half of it tonight and it isn't all that tender.  Parts are....parts not.  Will never order again - don't care Rastelli IS QVC butcher - they should fire this guy.

Super Contributor

Hung: a rib eye has more fat/ thus more flavor than a filet.