Respected Contributor

Re: RIP Ron Popeil

[ Edited ]

I remember my Dad brining home a "Veg-O -Matic" in the '60's!! I loved it because he would make us fresh french fries with it! (It slices! it dices!)

I LOVED my Ronco Pasta Maker, the Food Dehydrator  and my Showtime Rotisserie, all of which I still have, and still work-

He was so clever- a brilliant inventor as well as pitchman- His pocket fisherman is still widely used, and that hair spray with the fibers for bald spots, well, as odd as it seemed at the time, is still pretty much the industry standard for hair "thickeners"- His Mr Microphone though the source of many parodies and was also a best seller..

I know none of us will live forever, nor do we want to, but there is something very sad to me about losing this icon..The way he fused sales  and  television was groundbreaking...he was someone that "came into my home", and my consciousness, in a way that no one else had done when I was a kid...and I was always comforted  to see him as an adult....

RIP Ron- You set the bar for all to follow- heck because of you, there ARE TV shopping networks!!!!

Super Contributor

My Mom bought the veg-o-matic  for $10 bucks in the sixties.  She bought it for my hopeless chest. Still works.  Make French fries with it.