Esteemed Contributor

I just ordered this mandolin.  Just read all of the reviews:  half imply it's the best thing since sliced bread; the other half claim the shoot is too small - cannot even slice onions.  Looked at the video and watched as Alberti sliced onions and showed how to make fries.

Just to clarify, I'd appreciate you opinions - is it good or bad?

TIA

Respected Contributor

I don't have one. They do look safer than other models. But what I want to tell you is, before you purchase here look at Bed, Bath, & Beyond. I saw the same type of model there in the past. Don't remember the price, but if you still have a store close by it might be worth getting it there. No postage to pay, plus especially at this back to school time of year coupons should be plentiful.

Esteemed Contributor

I have the first edition of this and use it more often that I initially thought I would.

I agree that the chute is small and some things, like cucumbers, don't make perfect rounds due to the angle of the chute.  However, I have learned to use it without the chute in place for some items.  This allows me to hold the cucumber, celery stalk, apple quartered for slices in proper position to get straight cuts.

Even without the chute I find it safer than my traditional mandolin which is now reserved for when I'm "cooking big".  For everyday this is my go to.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanx @Etoile308 .  We had one in my town but it moved one town over and think it closed during the pandemic.  I used to like tp shop there.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanx @Marp .  Just thought it would be good for slicing onions and making oven fries.  Sounds like it will be useful for those items and I don't need perfectWoman LOL

Respected Contributor

I like mine very much.  It is fast and safe.  Cook's Illustrated included it in a review with some other mandolins and it was rated high although not highest.  It was given a lower point rate for not cutting every slice perfectly the same and I think not able to slice paper thin.  Neither of those matter to me as much as the safety with speed and also very easy to clean and adjust.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanx @Free2be .  You sold me on it!  I feel tha same way:  safety, speed, easy clean-up.

Esteemed Contributor

If anyone is looking for a hand-held, I can recommend the Oxo mandolin for about 18 bucks. It works great & doesn't take up space like another one I have.

Trusted Contributor

I own this Mandolin, and just love it.  Works great and no danger of slicing my fingers.

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme I like mine and find it handy. There is a learning curve and I wish the setting dial could be read better. The little brush /pick / & a strong stream of hot water clean it fairly easily. I like to julienne (sp?) or thin slice garlic (store with olive oil in a Lock & Lock) or onion also. I have enjoyed it and feel it is safer than a mandolin for my clumsy self.