Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question about transporting a milkshake

@qualityshopper - The issue with dairy products in a thermos is primarily for warm or hot dairy (or for attempts to store dairy for long periods), so especially if you're only keeping your milkshake in the thermos for an hour, there won't be any health or safety concerns. Hopefully, a thermos would do a nice job of keeping your milkshake nice and cold, but you may want to help it along by keeping it in a cooler with some ice packs or ice. Good luck!  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Thanks for all the great suggestions. When I first found out that Stanley didn't suggest using a thermos for milk products, I was quite surprised. I never for one moment thought that putting a milkshake into something that was designed to keep things cold for 15 hours could be an issue. Didn't think about the possibility of bacteria forming. Guess I can place the thermos into a small cooler with ice packs surrounding ti to keep it at the proper temperature. Too bad I can't find a place to stop at on the way that makes reduced sugar shakes. That would be great. Oh, well. Again, thanks everyone!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why not use a chilled pitcher or a quart jar, and transport in a small cooler?    

OR

Ask if the nursing home will make the milkshake for you if you take the ingredients.   When my grandmother was in the personal care home, Mom and I donated several foods as special treats that were prepared in their kitchen.   Milkshakes were served quite often.

Respected Contributor

They are a little pricey but Hydroflasks are awesome.  It would definitely keep it cold for an hour or much longer if needed.  

Valued Contributor

I buy the Ozark trail insulated tumblers on Amazon.  They also have them cheaper at Walmart but its a ****** shoot if they are in stock.  You could put a milk shake in them.  I use them for my ice water and they keep it cold for 24 hours.  Don't put them in dish washer but wash by hand.

Amazon.com | Ozark Trail 20 oz Vacuum Insulated Tumbler: Teal: Tumblers & Water Glasses

Honored Contributor

Get one of those little coolers, that you freeze the cold parts and then place in the coolers. My husband use to take one for golfing with him to set on the cart for water.

Valued Contributor

Thanks, again, for even more great suggestions. Much appreciated.

Valued Contributor

Just an update. Think I've found two other possible solutions. One is a mini fridge for the car. More expensive than I'd like for the sole purpose of transporting shakes, but still a possibiltiy. The other solution, much more reasonable, is something called the my cold cup ice stick. I really like this idea. It can keep the shake cold without diluting it. From the reviews, I think this is my answer.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The shake could be transported in a jar with a screw-on lid or other secured container and either a Freeze Pak or ice in this lunch cooler.  These mini coolers are inexpensive as well.

Igloo Mini Playmate Cooler , 4 Qt