Honored Contributor

Lettuce Recalls Haven't Been Issued Lately--Is it Safer?

It just occurred to me that I haven't heard of a lettuce or any produce recall in a long time.  Am I missing something or did a big problem get solved do you think?

Honored Contributor

Re: Lettuce Recalls Haven't Been Issued Lately--Is it Safer?

@Sooner   I think the recalls happen either when a worker doesn't know s/he is infected with something and doesn't take whatever the proper precautions are or when some supervisory worker violates standards in a greedy attempt to meet quotas or make more dollars. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with the lettuce unless we humans err whether by chance or by choice.

I have found "safe" lettuce to buy for my own kitchen almost straight through all the issues.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops How do you know "safe?"  I don't have a clue! 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   You're right, we haven't had our annual Romaine recall.  Maybe they're not growing it in California this year.  Isn't it a cool-weather crop? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 I am not sure but I can't remember when I've heard what used to be almost weekly lettuce or other greens being recalled.

It just seems to have stopped suddenly and that's odd.  It makes me wonder. . . why!

Honored Contributor

I only buy my produce locally. Just got some spring mix lettuce yesterday at one of our farmers markets. Never have any recalls.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@Sooner there hasn't been a lettuce issue that I know of recently, but when there is one, the details for that recall tell us what to avoid.  

I know when romaine disappeared from the restaurants and stores, it was really about romaine from one CA grower so we were able to buy romaine once the grocers found supplies.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

It just occurred to me that I haven't heard of a lettuce or any produce recall in a long time.  Am I missing something or did a big problem get solved do you think?

@Sooner no problem has been solved. It's the luck of the draw when it comes to bacterial contamination. This usually is linked back to water runoff that is contaminated from local farming with fecal matter bacteria or it comes from organisms present at packaging plant or on any of the many items the food comes in contact with. We have just been lucky. The producers of these foods try to be as careful as possible. They take multiple measures to keep our food safe. Leafy vegetables are washed in a water and chlorine solution.Remember, they are grown in the ground, in contact with soil and soil born pathogens. They are subject to possible contamination along the entire chain. It is very hard to control so many conditions against microscopic organisms. These organisms are everywhere and they number in the trillions. One measure that would help would be to have animal farms miles away from crop farms, but this has not been a feasible solution. Some Salinas Valley farmers have joined together to unite in their efforts to prevent run off from livestock farming in their location. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D I agree--things are grown in the dirt and animals roam the fields, birds fly over etc.  I grew up with farming and ranching. 

But I don't think it has been luck.  It is because COVID made it more difficult to inspect and report, the problem was solved to some degree or something else, like government priorities.  

But to go from the number of recalls and warnings pre-COVID to basically NONE, no that's not luck.  That's a big deal. Something has changed drastically. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is a current outbreak of E. coli in Washinton State. It is suspected of coming from produce but tracing back the source is still in progress. 
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiu5cvDlPLwAhUYbs0KHaNDCzYQ...

The Washing State E. Coli outbreak is being included in a larger, multi state outbreak from a yet unknown food source affecting 7 states. The CDC has designated that this outbreak is over. 
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjxqPX3lPLwAhXTX80KHTLLCo8Q...