Respected Contributor

I've had my Temptations from when they first came out on QVC.  But I'm noticing one by one that they're getting cracks in them.  I'm very careful with them.  Never putting something cold in a hot oven or microwave (I don't think I've ever put one in a microwave) and I always wash by hand.  Anyone else does this seem to be happening to?

Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy I have some older Temp-tations that I use on a weekly basis. They are crazed. The glaze is starting to look brown and kind of crackled. They still work fine, but I'm starting to wonder if lead is leaching into the food. I've sent an email to Tara to find out. I don't have any with cracks that go all the way through.

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@ScrapHappy I have some older Temp-tations that I use on a weekly basis. They are crazed. The glaze is starting to look brown and kind of crackled. They still work fine, but I'm starting to wonder if lead is leaching into the food. I've sent an email to Tara to find out. I don't have any with cracks that go all the way through.

The cracks on mine don't go all the way through either.  You can just see it on different areas of the dish, especially the bottom.  Also, when a dish is placed on the counter especially after washing, you can hear the difference.  I use mine a lot too, especially the 9 x 13 and that one is cracked the worst.  I may change to corning ware or pyrex.

Trusted Contributor

I bought a few pieces over a period of years. I also treat them gently, handwashing and not putting them in the refrigerator or freezer.

Early on, I had pieces show crazing under the glaze right out of the box, and returned them. This usually means the pieces were not well fired, or there were flaws in the clay. Then for a while, I got items that are still intact. The last set I got was truly terrible--every single piece cracked the first or second time I used it. All the cracking occurred in the oven, by the way, not the microwave. My remaining pieces are no longer used for cooking, just for decoration, pets, plants, prep, and cold food.

Bottom line, this brand is cheap and cheerful, but Poor quality control and not reliable.

Trusted Contributor

@ScrapHappy If there is crazing and you are seeing stains under the glaze, you probably shouldn't use them for food. Even if the glazes they used don't have lead in them (which they shouldn't, but who knows?), there has been something leaching in, and I think a good chance of bacterial contamination. Smiley Sad Find to use for decor or something, just not food.

Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy Stoneware is going to craze at some point. Look at our grandmothers' stoneware. It works so much better than glass for baking and cleaning. I'm thinking about going to Fiesta, because they don't use lead anymore. Kind of expensive however.

Esteemed Contributor

I have collected Temptations for every season and then some. Most of the uncolored stoneware has some crazing; some more than others. It hasn't affected the durability, or function.

I prefer the colored patterns like the beautiful red Poppy, and Egg Hunt Basketweave. They still look brand new, as well as my other colored sets .😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

I would not continue to use pieces with cracked glaze or where the crazed parts look like "brown" lines.

I say this as a very good friend of mine had a set used it all the time.  She is older & has dexterity problems.  She decided to make a nice tray (13x9) of eggplant parm in her baker.

She put the baker in a 375 oven  -- well, about 1/2 hour later she heard a loud "popping" noise...the baker cracked into several pieces😳.

Of course, food all over oven burning on bottom.  She "tried" to pull parts of it out and the pieces were so hot they actually burnt her hand thru the "temptations" gloves..another story.

she of course left the mess until someone could clean it since she was unable.  I asked her what could cause this -- she said "It had little cracks in it but she didn't think it was a problem". 

Well, immediately I went thru both my pieces and then hers and tossed in garbage any pieces which looked bad.

My advice: stop using them for cooking maybe serving but even this I wouldn't chance.

I have replaced most my pieces with either Fiestaware or Cooks Essentials Ceramic bakers.  So far, no problems.  

Many pieces I use for decorative or serving but have sold most of it.  I always include the direction sheet enclosed with Temptations.  I've bought seasonal pieces for decor only but haven't  bought any baker pieces in years so I don't know the quality now.

Honored Contributor

I have Temp-tation pieces from the very first sets she brought to QVC, and occasionally still buy a piece or two. I have pieces and sets from most every pattern and every year she has manufactured.

The main problem with the line is that there has been horrible inconsistency in the quality of the product. People think the older were better, but not always. 

The issue with stoneware is that usually there is an unglazed portion on the bottom that will absorb water. When it does that, then is heated, it can weaken things over time. And with cheap stoneware, the glazing and firing process isn't always well done, and the glaze will fail over time with use. I've actually received a number of pieces of Temp-tations that were crazed right out of the box brand new, and many others used only for display that crazed just sitting on a shelf over time.

Crazed and cracks in the glaze should be discarded. Bacteria can get into the tiny cracks and not be very sanitary to use. When washing by hand, don't soak in water will help to stave off the crazing, but in reality, the quality of Temp-tations isn't the lifetime/ hand down they try to convince us it is on air. 

I'm just using and enjoying mine, and tossing when it fails. Buying very little anymore because it isn't going to last (and I have way too much! lol).

I have never had a problem with cracks either but just lately my green (original pattern) 3.0 qt round covered dish has cracks in the bottom.  They are not all the way through but this devinitely runs the looks once the food is gone.  Is there anything I can do?

Thank you!