Trusted Contributor

Please Help. Do I Need an AIR FRYER???

[ Edited ]

Thinking of buying an air fryer this weekend. It's just my DD and I at home. We eat healthily. Have a large cooktop grill pan, and also a wall oven with convection setting.

We'd like to use no oil in the air fryer. Maybe just a bit of broth to moisten fresh veggies that we could cook in the air fryer. We'd also re-heat pizza, and so on.

PLEASE help talk me in or out of the air fryer!! Thinking about a well-reviewed Chefman one.

THANKS, EVERYONE!

-Solar Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Please Help. Do I Need an AIR FRYER???

I love my air fryer, and I was reluctant to buy also- But it's healthier (cook with less oil), wayyy faster than any oven, and super quick & easy cleanup (if you get one that is non-stick). 

I use it very often, unlike the Instant-pot which has been a bust!

So in answer to your question, if you cook a lot, yes you need one! 

Honored Contributor

Spoiler
Spoiler

I am a single and have an air fryer that's still in its box after about 3 years.  I just don't have counter or cupboard space for it.  I have a Breville convection oven and use it for baking/reheating pizza and things like that.  Never fry anything but don't think I really need an air fryer.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

NO you don't

If you eat healthy you probably don't use much oil any way.

If you  love fried food (i don't).....then yes

I've bought 3 of them - donated one - one sits in basement - one to friend.

Still love oven - fry pan - microwave & happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Solar Is My Name - I debated for awhile before buying one since I wasn't sure how often it would get used, but I definitely do not regret my purchase. Surprisingly, we use it most often for meats rather than for sides and reheating, which were what we thought its primary use would be. Steak, burgers, chicken, pork chops, and bacon all cook beautifully in the air fryer, and the unit keeps most of the smokiness and lingering smell inside. (Since my kitchen is located in the middle of my home with almost no ventilation, this has been a fantastic bonus for me.)

And of course, as you'd expect, air frying potatoes into french fries or reheating a slice of pizza is quick and easy with fresh, crispy results. We also enjoy whipping up some refrigerator biscuit-based cinnamon sugar bites for a simple sweet treat that takes just a few minutes.

If you want more details on the "how to" aspect to help determine how useful this applicance might be in your life, I highly recommend visiting the "Cooking 101" section on air fryers on the Blue Jean Chef's website, bluejeanchef.com/cooking-school/collections/air-fryer (and you can search for air fryer recipes there as well to find some tasty things to test).

Good luck with your decision!

ETA: I neglected to mention that we rarely use ANY oil in our air fryer cooking; when we do, we use the EVO sprayer to ensure that we use very little and that only the amount we want is being applied. Just a half-teaspoon or so does help those fries achieve the golden goodness you want them to have.  Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

You do not need an air fryer unless you eat a lot of premade frozen food like frozen fries, mozzarella sticks, etc. which we don't eat. We were given a very nice air fryer, I used it for about a month trying different things and then it took up a lot of counter space and was never used. It took time to heat and then cook and we preferred our pressure cooker or oven over the air fryer. My favorite kitchen gadget is an electric pressure cooker and you can cook healthy with minimal time and effort. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

people love them or dont see a need.

i love my ninja!

my fav steak and roasted fresh veggies......delish!  ohhhh and cornbread baked in it is yummm!

i do not do frozen fries or tots or cheese sticks or or or.........though i do understand that many think this is what an air fryer is for.   no no no

10 VERSATILE FUNCTIONS: Air Fry, Air Roast, Bake, Whole Roast, Broil, Toast, Bagel, Dehydrate, Reheat, and Pizza, all in one powerful 1800-watt appliance

i do not use a regular oven

i do not use a toaster

i do not use a toaster oven

i do not use a deep fryer

ninja.jpg

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Contributor

I thinnk if you cook alot and have counterspace or storage space I say go for it.

I don't have one, but I bought one for my daughter-in-law for Christmas. She did not look impressed when she unwrapped it. 

I don't know what to gift her any longer.

If you choose to go for it enjoy and let us know how you like it.

Trusted Contributor

My husband and our son gave me the Ninja Dual Basket Air Fryer for Mother's Day......total game changer!!! I have a Breville Toaster Oven that also air fries, but this Air Fryer is incredible. It's just my husband and myself and I use it almost daily. 

The dual baskets allow you to cook your protein and side dish at the same time. And with the Smart Cook and Match Cook feature....both foods are done at the same time. No oil is needed to achieve crispy foods. It also has a setting for Air Broil, Roast, Reheat, Dehydrate and Bake. It is on the large side, but with everything it does, it's so worth it. I've hardly used my Toaster Oven since and the oven on my stove now stores my pots and pans. It's a workhorse for sure.

Respected Contributor

Nobody needs an air fryer. I have a Ninja that I use to grill fresh veggies, steaks, chicken breasts and many other foods.