Honored Contributor

Re: Parchment Paper Rocks!

[ Edited ]

Having had a family in the restaurant business, we used it for baking for a long time.  However, and I don't now how many of you will recall, dry cleaning paper bags, were what we used prior to easy availability of parchment paper.  My grandmother cut rounds or rectangles like baking pans.  She slightly oiled the papers and let them  sit in stacks of 3's in the early morning or at night, at closing time, for use in the following hours, or day.  

One thing of import is that you should not use parchment paper if you are cooking at or above 450 degrees or using the broiler temp..

Honored Contributor

I have never used it. Maybe I should try it.

Respected Contributor

@missy1 Yes, you should!  It is awesome.  I can't believe I've never used it.  Line all your pans for nonstick and easy or NO cleanup.

One warning, it says you can't use it over 420 degrees and don't use under the broiler or toaster oven. 

My fish package said to bake at 425 degrees, so I set it at 415 degrees to be safe.  It was done before it was suppose to be.  It cooked faster this time, I don't know if this is normal for everything or not.

Valued Contributor

Something I also do now is use a coffee filter for lining my round cake pans . yes I spray the pan and the paper but i do not have to cut it out like I did with the old wax paper.And they are food grade approved.

cathy from ma

Respected Contributor

Another great product is Reynolds Wrap No-stick Pan Lining Paper. It comes on a roll and is double-sided with parchment paper on one side and aluminum foil on the other. You tear off what you need to line your pan, mold it around the pan with the parchment side facing the food and bake/roast away! It's great for any type of messy food that has a sauce or filling that's hard to clean (like barbecue sauces, cheese-filled items, etc.). Once you've removed the food, just gather it up and toss it in the trash. I usually let it cool first, but you don't have to. It says it withstands temperatures up to 420 degrees, but I've never used it in that hot of an oven. My husband (the dishwasher) loves it, since all he has to do is wipe the pan with a damp sponge to get any condensation. It can be a little bit hard to find. Our Harris Teeter doesn't carry it, but Wegman's does and so does Amazon (but it's more expensive than Wegman's). It lasts a surprisingly long time, too.

Honored Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

Another great product is Reynolds Wrap No-stick Pan Lining Paper. It comes on a roll and is double-sided with parchment paper on one side and aluminum foil on the other. You tear off what you need to line your pan, mold it around the pan with the parchment side facing the food and bake/roast away! It's great for any type of messy food that has a sauce or filling that's hard to clean (like barbecue sauces, cheese-filled items, etc.). Once you've removed the food, just gather it up and toss it in the trash. I usually let it cool first, but you don't have to. It says it withstands temperatures up to 420 degrees, but I've never used it in that hot of an oven. My husband (the dishwasher) loves it, since all he has to do is wipe the pan with a damp sponge to get any condensation. It can be a little bit hard to find. Our Harris Teeter doesn't carry it, but Wegman's does and so does Amazon (but it's more expensive than Wegman's). It lasts a surprisingly long time, too.

That would not be practical for me.  I recycle aluminum foil.  if it is not soiled badly, I rinse or wipe it off , roll it up and reuse it.  Saves moolah.  

Honored Contributor

Parchment paper can be kinda pricey. I bought a 2 pack at Costco. Not your normaI Wilton Parchment Paper 2 pack - but a good few pound 2 pack. I don't know if it is available all year long but I got it during the holidays. I will have enough to bake cookies for all of you : )

th.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

Don't confuse wax paper with parchment paper-Two different things!

I crumple the parchment paper to make it fit my pans-easier than cutting circles, etc.

Honored Contributor

Re: Parchment Paper Rocks!

[ Edited ]

I use so much of it I buy the huge 205 sq ft roll from Sam's for about $5. Beats paying about $4 for 45 sq ft in that small box.

Contributor

I too am a fairly recent lover of parchment paper. I take a day off every year to make Christmas cookies and when I discovered parchment paper a few years ago it was like an early Christmas gift.  One note, in addition to the roll, you can get it in pre-cut sheets that will fit your cookie sheets perfectly. They are folded, not wound around a roll, so you don't need to uncurl them or cut the pieces to match your cookie sheets. Great time saver!