Respected Contributor

Making an Authentic Texas Beef Brisket with all the fix ins on Thursday

Since I hail from Texas I decided to make a smoked Texas Brisket tomorrow, with all the fix ins to go along with it, which include potato salad, cole slaw, smoked baked beans, and some delicious garlic pickles.......and of course some hearty ale along with a texas peach cobbler for dessert.

I truly long for the good old days with the family gathered enjoying Texas BBQ together.

Now hubby and I can carry on that tradition and still share it with others who would love to master making a delicious authentic Texas Beef Brisket smoked to Texas perfection!

Below is a link with the top 10 Brisket recipes, and I am making #2, but #8 is also another favorite...

http://bbq.about.com/od/brisketrecipes/tp/10brisket.htm

TEXAS STYLE BEEF BRISKET RECIPE

Smoked Brisket - Ernesto Andrade/Flickr

Ernesto Andrade/Flickr

User Rating

This traditional Texas-style Beef Brisket recipe will produce a great piece of smoked meat. This basic recipe gives you all you need to know to smoke a brisket. From here you can learn to take your brisket to a whole new level.

INGREDIENTS
  • 8-10 pound/2.5 to 2.8 kg untrimmed brisket
  • 1/2 cup/120 mL Texas Style Brisket Rub
  • wood chips (oak, fruit wood, hickory)
  • Prep Time: 30 minutes
  • Cook Time: 600 minutes
  • Total Time: 630 minutes
  • Yield: Serves 6
PREPARATION:

Preheat smoker and add wood chips (follow your instruction manual). Rinse and dry the brisket. Apply Texas style brisket rub. Place brisket in smoker for 8-10 hours. Keep the smoker temperature at about 225 to 250 degrees F. (108 to 120 degrees C.) To increase tenderness, take the brisket out of the smoker once it reaches 170 degrees F. (77 degrees C.), wrap in aluminum foil and place back in the

smoker or in an oven at 180-200 degrees F. (82-93 degrees C.) for the last two hours or until the internal temperature reaches 190 degrees F. (88 degrees C.) Typically after 8-10 hours a piece of meat will have absorbed as much smoke as it can and additional smoking may impart a bitter flavor.

Respected Contributor

Re: Making an Authentic Texas Beef Brisket with all the fix ins on Thursday

Anyone thinking of smoking a brisket or butt might want to check out the My Masterbuilt Electric Smoker Facebook page for some really specific and great tips..

WE are a large group who have learned the ropes by trial and error and are happy to help out those who are new to the whole smoking thing...

Respected Contributor

Mothertrucker thanks very much for your reply, but in all honesty I believe in authenticity, especially since my QVC thread is about making an "Authentic Texas Beef Brisket with all the fix'ens".

To be an "Authentic Texas Beef Brisket the meat is never prepared on an electric smoker".

Just for the record Charcoal Briquettes were invented in the 1900's.

Wood burning for Smoking and BBQ was being done in the 1800's in Texas, so wood was a preferred preference long before charcoal and electric smokers were mass produced.

We Texans prefer using Texas woods in that time proven old fashioned way by using a firebox smoker, because that is how the real Texas pro's and Pit Masters have been smoking and doing BBQ.

Texans are extremely well known for our very famous Texas Syle Smoked Beef Briskets, and since we are authentic to Texas Style Smoking and BBQ, it is not authentic Texas style to use electric smokers......."at least real Texans don't".

We real Texans are authentic Texans born and bred, and take great pride and only use real smokers with a firebox which is fired with various Texas woods like hickory, maple, mulberry, mesquite, and post oak woods. (If interested these items can all be purchased on the internet).

I use a wood smoker with a firebox to provide indirect heat for authentic Texas outdoor cooking.

We don't do smoking or BBQ by trial and error.

When a Texan is accomplished in the Smoking and BBQ categories, there is no trial and error, just good old fashioned Texas know how expertise, passed down from one generation to another.

Texans are world famous for their smoking with authentic Texas wood techniques, and using authentic Smokers with a firebox, for the best authentic Texas smoking and BBQ results.

We are born and bred with this knowledge, and it is passed down, and we are very proud to be known as the best in the Beef Brisket, Ribs, Hog smoking, and BBQ categories.

Texans are also known to be a very proud group of the best Pit Masters in the world. We also have the best establishments for eating authentic Texas smoked bbq using post oak woods.

Actually looking at the humungous size of the State of Texas lets everyone know we are a proud people who do everything in a most hospitable and big friendly way, which is why we have acquired that great Smoking and BBQ reputation as being the very best.

There is a humungous difference between authentic Texas Smoking & BBQ using only real Texas woods, and beef briskets.

Regarding beans in Texas pinto beans are preferred, but we also love pork and beans as one of our sides too.

I guess if one prefers a different type of taste they will use an electric smoker, but it can in no way compare to what I use and referenced above, or what every authentic Texan uses when they seriously set up and have a day of good old fashioned know how, and smoke or BBQ the very best foods we are well known for.

I am a born and bred Texas gal living in NY for many decades, but nevertheless when we smoke or BBQ out back we do it the Texas way.

Low and slow using indirect heat produced from various Texas woods which we order on the internet.

There truly is nothing that can compare to "Authentic Texas Smoking & BBQ, and I hope ya'll try this recipe because it is sure to please.

Buy some authentic Texas woods and do not use charcoal even if it is mentioned by a Texan or other person, because charcoal is a nasty product and Authentic Smoking and BBQ started in the 1800's by using authentic woods.

That method is to date real smoking and BBQ the way it was introduced to Texas and used for so many decades, and that pride will never be replaced by charcoal or electric smokers, at least not by a tried and true Authentic Texan who is serious about pit mastering and all Texas authenticity, regarding authentic prep for smoking and BBQ cooking.

I wish happy trails, and happy "Authentic Texas Smoking, and BBQ great eats" to ya'all, and don't forget to enjoy your fix'ens too{#emotions_dlg.laugh}.

Below is my favorite recipe of which I have a few for Texas Style Potato Salad:

Texas potato salad

Serves about 4-6 people

Ingredients:
2 pounds of red new potatoes, cubed
2 celery stalks, diced
2 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup of bread and butter jalapenos, diced
1/4 cup of yellow mustard
1/4 cup of mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon bread and butter jalapeno pickle juice
Salt and black pepper to taste

Directions:
In a large pot, cover potatoes with cold water, bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Should be tender but not mushy.

Drain potatoes and rinse in cold water. Toss with vinegar and salt, and let cool in the refrigerator for half an hour.

After the potatoes have cooled, gently stir in the mustard and mayonnaise into the potatoes and then add the rest of the ingredients.

We are having canned pork and beans and we will heat them for a little while in the smoker to get that smokey flavor, but below is one of my favorite Texas Style bean recipes usually prepared at functions featuring Authentic Texas Smoked foods and good old fashioned Authentic Texas BBQ.

Texas Style Pinto Beans:

2 pounds pinto beans
2 pounds ham hocks
2 diced onions

2 heads of garlic minced
4 tablespoons of sugar (optional)
2 green chiles -- or to
taste (optional)
1 can tomato paste
salt

Wash the beans and soak them overnight.

Cover the beans with water and cook with above ingredients over low heat, simmering them until they are done.

If need be add more water and taste for additional seasonings, until they are cooked to your liking.

(My husband also loves garlic pickles, so we put them out too).

Honored Contributor

Be sure to make the potato salad out of mashed potatoes for an authentic taste and look. Yuck, I suppose in my lifetime, I've tried to choke a wheelbarrow load of that stuff down. Who ever thought that was a good idea? Every catered affair has it. With slices of white bread. Where are you from, Adore?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

On 3/18/2015 Kachina624 said: Be sure to make the potato salad out of mashed potatoes for an authentic taste and look. Yuck, I suppose in my lifetime, I've tried to choke a wheelbarrow load of that stuff down. Who ever thought that was a good idea? Every catered affair has it. With slices of white bread. Where are you from, Adore?

Kachina624,

Next time please read my thread in it's entirety, because if you did then you would know where I am originally from, and where I live now.

Honored Contributor

On 3/18/2015 Kachina624 said: Be sure to make the potato salad out of mashed potatoes for an authentic taste and look. Yuck, I suppose in my lifetime, I've tried to choke a wheelbarrow load of that stuff down. Who ever thought that was a good idea? Every catered affair has it. With slices of white bread. Where are you from, Adore?

My DH's mom makes her potato salad with mashed potatoes. YUCK is right. That's not potato salad. If we get together & potato salad is mentioned DH says I will make the potato salad because he says he's not eating that cr~ap his mom makes. LOL!!! She lacks in the cooking dept.

Honored Contributor

Adoreqvc Thanks for sharing your Texas style recipes. I lived in Texas for about 10 yrs. & miss all my friends I left behind. I have a brother that lives in the outskirts of Dallas. We now use our Masterbuilt smoker for ribs, brisket, turkey etc. We still have our huge offset smoker we used forever. As I have gotten older I cannot eat the brisket or ribs with lots of the bark part. The blackened smoke bark upsets my stomach. I hate the bbq brisket & ribs that make your tongue/mouth have that numbing effect which is caused from creosote buildup & not the correct airflow while smoking. Anyone ate that & know what I'm talking about? We generally make our own because it's so much better than any place you can eat it. I have gotten where I like my ribs cooked in the oven than put on the grill for a few mins. YUM!!! Enjoy all that authentic Texas BBQ today.

Smile

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

On 3/18/2015 adoreqvc said:

Mothertrucker thanks very much for your reply, but in all honesty I believe in authenticity, especially since my QVC thread is about making an "Authentic Texas Beef Brisket with all the fix'ens".

To be an "Authentic Texas Beef Brisket the meat is never prepared on an electric smoker".

Just for the record Charcoal Briquettes were invented in the 1900's.

Wood burning for Smoking and BBQ was being done in the 1800's in Texas, so wood was a preferred preference long before charcoal and electric smokers were mass produced.

We Texans prefer using Texas woods in that time proven old fashioned way by using a firebox smoker, because that is how the real Texas pro's and Pit Masters have been smoking and doing BBQ.

Texans are extremely well known for our very famous Texas Syle Smoked Beef Briskets, and since we are authentic to Texas Style Smoking and BBQ, it is not authentic Texas style to use electric smokers......."at least real Texans don't".

We real Texans are authentic Texans born and bred, and take great pride and only use real smokers with a firebox which is fired with various Texas woods like hickory, maple, mulberry, mesquite, and post oak woods. (If interested these items can all be purchased on the internet).

I use a wood smoker with a firebox to provide indirect heat for authentic Texas outdoor cooking.

We don't do smoking or BBQ by trial and error.

When a Texan is accomplished in the Smoking and BBQ categories, there is no trial and error, just good old fashioned Texas know how expertise, passed down from one generation to another.

Texans are world famous for their smoking with authentic Texas wood techniques, and using authentic Smokers with a firebox, for the best authentic Texas smoking and BBQ results.

We are born and bred with this knowledge, and it is passed down, and we are very proud to be known as the best in the Beef Brisket, Ribs, Hog smoking, and BBQ categories.

Texans are also known to be a very proud group of the best Pit Masters in the world. We also have the best establishments for eating authentic Texas smoked bbq using post oak woods.

Actually looking at the humungous size of the State of Texas lets everyone know we are a proud people who do everything in a most hospitable and big friendly way, which is why we have acquired that great Smoking and BBQ reputation as being the very best.

There is a humungous difference between authentic Texas Smoking & BBQ using only real Texas woods, and beef briskets.

Regarding beans in Texas pinto beans are preferred, but we also love pork and beans as one of our sides too.

I guess if one prefers a different type of taste they will use an electric smoker, but it can in no way compare to what I use and referenced above, or what every authentic Texan uses when they seriously set up and have a day of good old fashioned know how, and smoke or BBQ the very best foods we are well known for.

I am a born and bred Texas gal living in NY for many decades, but nevertheless when we smoke or BBQ out back we do it the Texas way.

Low and slow using indirect heat produced from various Texas woods which we order on the internet.

There truly is nothing that can compare to "Authentic Texas Smoking & BBQ, and I hope ya'll try this recipe because it is sure to please.

Buy some authentic Texas woods and do not use charcoal even if it is mentioned by a Texan or other person, because charcoal is a nasty product and Authentic Smoking and BBQ started in the 1800's by using authentic woods.

That method is to date real smoking and BBQ the way it was introduced to Texas and used for so many decades, and that pride will never be replaced by charcoal or electric smokers, at least not by a tried and true Authentic Texan who is serious about pit mastering and all Texas authenticity, regarding authentic prep for smoking and BBQ cooking.

I wish happy trails, and happy "Authentic Texas Smoking, and BBQ great eats" to ya'all, and don't forget to enjoy your fix'ens too{#emotions_dlg.laugh}.

Below is my favorite recipe of which I have a few for Texas Style Potato Salad:

Texas potato salad

Serves about 4-6 people

Ingredients:
2 pounds of red new potatoes, cubed
2 celery stalks, diced
2 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup of bread and butter jalapenos, diced
1/4 cup of yellow mustard
1/4 cup of mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon bread and butter jalapeno pickle juice
Salt and black pepper to taste

Directions:
In a large pot, cover potatoes with cold water, bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Should be tender but not mushy.

Drain potatoes and rinse in cold water. Toss with vinegar and salt, and let cool in the refrigerator for half an hour.

After the potatoes have cooled, gently stir in the mustard and mayonnaise into the potatoes and then add the rest of the ingredients.

We are having canned pork and beans and we will heat them for a little while in the smoker to get that smokey flavor, but below is one of my favorite Texas Style bean recipes usually prepared at functions featuring Authentic Texas Smoked foods and good old fashioned Authentic Texas BBQ.

Texas Style Pinto Beans:

2 pounds pinto beans
2 pounds ham hocks
2 diced onions

2 heads of garlic minced
4 tablespoons of sugar (optional)
2 green chiles -- or to
taste (optional)
1 can tomato paste
salt

Wash the beans and soak them overnight.

Cover the beans with water and cook with above ingredients over low heat, simmering them until they are done.

If need be add more water and taste for additional seasonings, until they are cooked to your liking.

(My husband also loves garlic pickles, so we put them out too).

Do you make the garlic pickles?

Honored Contributor

On 3/18/2015 Mothertrucker said:

Anyone thinking of smoking a brisket or butt might want to check out the My Masterbuilt Electric Smoker Facebook page for some really specific and great tips..

WE are a large group who have learned the ropes by trial and error and are happy to help out those who are new to the whole smoking thing...

How do I find your FB page? I do have an account set up but I hardly ever use FB. We used an offset smoker for years & years but have been using our Masterbuilt for a couple of years.

Honored Contributor

Come home fellow Texan and add some Blue Bell ice cream and Banana Pudding to that fabulous menu!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."