Honored Contributor

Re: Making an Authentic Texas Beef Brisket with all the fix ins on Thursday

On 3/19/2015 adoreqvc said:
On 3/18/2015 Kachina624 said: Be sure to make the potato salad out of mashed potatoes for an authentic taste and look. Yuck, I suppose in my lifetime, I've tried to choke a wheelbarrow load of that stuff down. Who ever thought that was a good idea? Every catered affair has it. With slices of white bread. Where are you from, Adore?

Kachina624,

Next time please read my thread in it's entirety, because if you did then you would know where I am originally from, and where I live now.

I DID read your post which is why I asked you where you're from (inTexas).

Becky, one of the happiest days of my life was when they brought Blue Bell to New Mexico about 4 or 5 years ago.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

On 3/19/2015 Kachina624 said:
On 3/19/2015 adoreqvc said:
On 3/18/2015 Kachina624 said: Be sure to make the potato salad out of mashed potatoes for an authentic taste and look. Yuck, I suppose in my lifetime, I've tried to choke a wheelbarrow load of that stuff down. Who ever thought that was a good idea? Every catered affair has it. With slices of white bread. Where are you from, Adore?

Kachina624,

Next time please read my thread in it's entirety, because if you did then you would know where I am originally from, and where I live now.

I DID read your post which is why I asked you where you're from (inTexas).

Becky, one of the happiest days of my life was when they brought Blue Bell to New Mexico about 4 or 5 years ago.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

On 3/19/2015 beckyb1012 said:

Come home fellow Texan and add some Blue Bell ice cream and Banana Pudding to that fabulous menu!!

Yum Blue Bell. It really is good. I like the Birthday Cake ice cream they have but I can never find it. Ice Cream & Cake all in one. I love ice cream but my stomach does not like it. I have been buying Talenti Gelato that does not seem to bother my stomach.

Respected Contributor

On 3/19/2015 Nightowlz said:

Adoreqvc Thanks for sharing your Texas style recipes. I lived in Texas for about 10 yrs. & miss all my friends I left behind. I have a brother that lives in the outskirts of Dallas. We now use our Masterbuilt smoker for ribs, brisket, turkey etc. We still have our huge offset smoker we used forever. As I have gotten older I cannot eat the brisket or ribs with lots of the bark part. The blackened smoke bark upsets my stomach. I hate the bbq brisket & ribs that make your tongue/mouth have that numbing effect which is caused from creosote buildup & not the correct airflow while smoking. Anyone ate that & know what I'm talking about? We generally make our own because it's so much better than any place you can eat it. I have gotten where I like my ribs cooked in the oven than put on the grill for a few mins. YUM!!! Enjoy all that authentic Texas BBQ today.

Smile

You're welcome Nightowlz,

I hope you will try my other recipes I posted above.

(They are true to my Texas heritage).

The Texas Beef Brisket is smoking over post oak woods I ordered on the net.

The dogs are waiting with impatience for their brisket samples which they will get much later.

I am really so sorry you can't handle authentic Texas Style wood burning BBQ anymore Nightowlz.

You are right when an amateur cannot correct the proper airflow the smoking event turns out some nasty tasting foods.

That is what people get when they don't have a clue how to properly use a smoker with a firebox, and also do not understand what indirect smoking means.

There's nothing like Authentic Texas wood burning smoking and BBQ cookouts when a pro knows how to use his smoker and firebox correctly, and takes proper advantage of using the correct air flow and smoking low and slow.

I have tasted the other smoking and BBQ alternatives and did not find them quite satisfying, or taste worthy of a true Texas food celebration event at all.

An electric smoker for my preferences just cannot compare and neither can charcoal, but if someone unfortunately has no choice I am glad it works for them.

I have also made oven ribs using liquid smoke, Texas rubs, and other spices, and in a pinch they are delicious, but not quite like the real thing of wood burning in a smoker with a firebox.

I hope you enjoy the warmer weather now Nightowlz because BBQ and Smoking season is upon us in the Northeast, and even though I smoke and BBQ year round, I really enjoy it during the warmer months, only because it is so much more enjoyable eating outside, and being comfortable with the elements.

Happy Cooking my friend......Enjoy{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}.

Honored Contributor

Come home fellow Texan and add some Blue Bell ice cream and Banana Pudding to that fabulous menu!!

Yum Blue Bell. It really is good. I like the Birthday Cake ice cream they have but I can never find it. Ice Cream & Cake all in one. I love ice cream but my stomach does not like it. I have been buying Talenti Gelato that does not seem to bother my stomach.

I have recently begun taking Andrew Lessman's Digest Assure before I eat food that would normally cause me heartburn, and it really works. I made a carrot cake recently, and was able to eat the butter/cream cheese frosting without having issues.

Trusted Contributor

LOL I find your very long explanation of Authentic Texas BBQ rather funny. Don't get me wrong, it sounds fine. But I am born, raised and still live right in the heart of TX and believe me you will find so many BBQ brisket recipes around, everyone makes it different. One tried and true recipe is just that and add to that 100's and 100's more! BBQ is regional even in TX. it is made lots of different ways. But do enjoy yours Smiley Happy I'm sure it will be delish.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/19/2015 Shop Till you Drop said:

LOL I find your very long explanation of Authentic Texas BBQ rather funny. Don't get me wrong, it sounds fine. But I am born, raised and still live right in the heart of TX and believe me you will find so many BBQ brisket recipes around, everyone makes it different. One tried and true recipe is just that and add to that 100's and 100's more! BBQ is regional even in TX. it is made lots of different ways. But do enjoy yours Smiley Happy I'm sure it will be delish.

Ditto, from Houston. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Respected Contributor

Mousiegirl,

Sometimes my husband will buy store bought garlic pickles if I do not have any left from my own homemade recipe I posted for you below.

This is the one I favor, but there are many different variations which can also be used, but this is our preference, and has been prepared by my family since the early 1900's when my Grandmother began preparing them.

HOT SWEET GARLIC PICKLES

1 gal. jar dill pickles (whole)
5 lbs. sugar
1 head of chopped garlic
Canned hot peppers to taste, or if you prefer to be modern, some Tabasco or Sirachia

Drain and slice dill pickles in a large bowl. Pour in sugar, add your hot pepper ingredient and the chopped garlic. Put into sterilized jars and seal. Refrigerate for 7 days. Turn jars upside down and shake for the first three days.

Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

On 3/19/2015 mousiegirl said:

I have recently begun taking Andrew Lessman's Digest Assure before I eat food that would normally cause me heartburn, and it really works. I made a carrot cake recently, and was able to eat the butter/cream cheese frosting without having issues.

I will have to try Digest Assure since ice cream does get to me from time to time. I am such a hard core addict to it. In fact a last month with BB's newest flavor Marbled Cream Cheese Brownie I was so disappointed I wrote them a letter to say it was not up to their high standards as far as I was concerned.

I praised them but said if they did not hear from us the customer they would not know my carton had only two brownie pieces and I could barely taste the cream cheese. No more than 7 days later the CEO sent me a long letter with a coupon for free carton of ice cream. Got may fav., Happy Tracks yesterday!! What service.

I promise it was a more glowing positive letter than a neg. one. Great service by Blue Bell

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Hi beckyb1012,

My Texas Peach Cobbler with Ice cream will be our dessert today, but I do also make a wonderful Banana Pudding too, and for ice cream we prefer homemade using an electric ice cream maker as I like being able to mix my own ingredients without all the preservatives usually found in store bought.

When visiting in Texas I do love Blue Bell on peach cobbler, and pies, as well as right out of the container.